So I'm going to Japan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also, they don't dry their hands after washing them. There's no towels in the bathroom to dry your hands. There's an air dryer, but I've only seen white people use it. Not sure what that's about lol

Probably. I haven't paid that much attention. I just see guys washing their hands and then just walk out lol.

The wife has never heard of this, though she does say lots of guys carry handkerchiefs. Going to ask her brother.

i saw SEVERAL people walk into the bathroom, use the sink to wash their hands, just kind of shake their hands into the sink, and walk out. if they used their handkerchiefs after that i didnt see. maybe i just expect to see them dry before the bathroom and not walk out with wet hands lol

Welp. I'm back. Definitely miss it.

Never felt unsafe. I walked around quite a bit by myself at night even, no problem.

Awesome.

I just thought to myself, why would you feel unsafe walking around by yourself at night? Then I remembered B'more.

Did you get her one of those Japanese sex eggs?

Also, they don't dry their hands after washing them. There's no towels in the bathroom to dry your hands. There's an air dryer, but I've only seen white people use it. Not sure what that's about lol
Yeah- everyone carries their own towel. Hand dryers are for Americans only.

Did you get me any Japanese whiskey?

Other than whiskey, try to get this dressing back here:

118.JPG

It can't be imported because it has beef juice in it, but my in-laws sneak us a bottle once in a while.

It's lifechanging. Obviously I can't put across how amazing it is but it would sell in the US by the truckload.

EDIT: Crap, just noticed that you're back already. Welcome back!

Dark, is that alcoholic? Or is that just some kind of "sauce"?

No whiskey. Go get your own. I'm not a huge whiskey guy.

Just salad dressing, but it's like Jesus, a herd of Unicorns and the ghost of Julia Child got together to make the ultimate end-of-days salad dressing. If you can find it and taste it you'll understand. It's... hearty. It's like pouring a vinegar/hamburger hybrid on your lettuce.

I found most food was like that though... Milk was real milk and tasted amazing, their 2% milk was like drinking half and half here (to the point where I can no longer drink regular 'whole' milk in the gallon jugs, the only thing close in the US is the half-gallon cartons of organic whole milk that has a lot more fat in it). Eggs don't get refrigerated because they're so clean and fresh, and soy sauce... my god, soy sauce. The shit salt water excuse for soy sauce we have here is disgusting to me now. My mother in law has this phenomenal recipe where she takes this already-amazing soy sauce that's made in a small village in Mie and doesn't get exported (they save it for themselves and export the lower quality stuff), and soaks dried tuna, spices, along with a bunch of other secret recipe things in it until it tastes like God's own tears. It gets meticulously filtered until it's this crystal clear ruby-red color and she sends us a big bottle of that every once in a while as well.

I was out in the countryside though... Tokyo was probably a lot more modern in its food.

Last edited:
speaking of soy sauce and fish, sushi there was obviously amazing. but what ive found was that it's really not the quality of the fish that makes it stand apart. yes, the fish is better, but thats not what does it. it's the rice. Sushi rice in Japan is amazing. much better than here. and i like that they put the wasabi between the fish and rice ball already. but i guess not all americans dont like it here, so it's not served that way.

most sushi in Japan is actually SUSHI. a hunk of fish sitting on a rice ball. not Maki rolls like is more common here. yeah they have maki rolls, but they are more simple than the crazy stuff here. i was describing what sushi was like in america to some people there, and they just looked at me confused and said "wtf are you guys doing to sushi over there?!?" one of the nicer sushi places i went, you ordered from the sushi chef per-piece. each piece, depending on what it was was between 800-2000 yen ($8-20). but it was WELL worth it. i think i spent like $50-60 on just me lol.

but conversely, i had mexican food there, and it sucks compared to america. the weird/cheap shit we do to sushi, is the same kind of weird/cheap shit they do to mexican food lol. our interpretation of sushi vs their interpretation of mexican. but oh well, "when in Rome..." as they say.

it was a great experience, and i'm looking forward to going back. I'm going to plan a trip to Thailand this summer with the gf, and we might stop in Tokyo for a day on the way back. And if not, it looks like I'll be going back to Japan for work in December for a followup meeting.

Back