So I'm planning a cross country trip...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK, so here's the deal, guys and gals... I'm in Oregon right now, but am moving back to Vermont in a few days. I can tow 2000 lbs. with my AllTrac- either all my crap, or my Civic. But not both. Sooo... I'm towing my crap back with me, and will be coming back in the spring time to get the Civic. I'm thinking late May/ early June for the return trip. I know E is down, but would anyone else want to chip in and rent a full size SUV for a two week road trip from Vermont to Oregon and back? If we can get two other people, it'd be stupid cheap. :)

just rent a Uhaul truck, load your shit and the 1200 inside, and tow the allTrac....it will be cheaper in the long run...

yea that would be smart but the secojnd trip would be fun, wish i could do something like that...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jan 5 2004, 08:45 PM
OK, so here's the deal, guys and gals... I'm in Oregon right now, but am moving back to Vermont in a few days. I can tow 2000 lbs. with my AllTrac- either all my crap, or my Civic. But not both. Sooo... I'm towing my crap back with me, and will be coming back in the spring time to get the Civic. I'm thinking late May/ early June for the return trip. I know E is down, but would anyone else want to chip in and rent a full size SUV for a two week road trip from Vermont to Oregon and back? If we can get two other people, it'd be stupid cheap. :)

if school is let out by the time u go, count me in

Originally posted by Airjockie@Jan 5 2004, 08:57 PM
just rent a Uhaul truck, load your shit and the 1200 inside, and tow the allTrac....it will be cheaper in the long run...

Current going rate for that would be about $2700. I'd rather BUY a truck for that much and come back out in the spring.

Two tips from someone that makes cross country trips.

Your celica is capable of towing that. But not for that long. Are you ready for something to break ?

Renting a U-Haul with trailer will cost you $2200. I know this for a fact.

I would love to make the second trip with you. It's a lot of fun. I can bring the Civic hatch and we can jam some more shit in there, or since I'm getting my 4Runner back we can stuff more shit in it. But I have to repair it first.

Also, the roads are smooth, but the weather this time of year (and all the way to April) is tough for travelling. The snows in Kansas and Missouri will sneak up on you and may strand you in a small dumpwater town for more than a day. Look up a Kansas anomoly called "Sideways Snow".

-> Steve

I would bring a small uhaul trailer with your stuff, and we can go back and get your Civic later.

Your celica is capable of towing that. But not for that long.  Are you ready for something to break ?

I know two people personally on the AllTrac boards that tow well into the 3000 lb. range with their cars, and have been doing so for the past five years. Other than eating brakes, there is no problem.

Renting a U-Haul with trailer will cost you $2200.  I know this for a fact.

And I know for a fact that http://www.uhaul.com quoted me a price of $134 for a 4X8 trailer, and $335 for a car trailer from here to there, one way.

Also, the roads are smooth, but the weather this time of year (and all the way to April) is tough for travelling. The snows in Kansas and Missouri will sneak up on you and may strand you in a small dumpwater town for more than a day.  Look up a Kansas anomoly called "Sideways Snow".

I'm not going through Kansas and Missouri. I'm going down to SLC and hopping on 80 and taking that all the way across, then 90 across NY. I'm well aware of the weather situation and as described in my avalanch post, I am well prepared for the worst. I expect the worst and hope for the best.

I would bring a small uhaul trailer with your stuff, and we can go back and get your Civic later.

As I said, I'm hauling all my crap back with me this trip, and the return trip will be just for the Civic. Yes, I could tow it across the country with the AllTrac, but I figure if there's four or five other people that want to make a mini- vacation out of it, rent an SUV and then rent a dolley when we get out here, and just split the cost of everything five or six ways.

Back