So it begins...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Okay, finally got most of the parts together for the swap, and secured 3 days off, and the weekend. The only thing I'm waiting on now is my P28 from one of Chris's friends - and Chris himself to do the VTEC wiring and ECU pinouts. That should be arranged by Saturday.

Anyway, decided to do the cleaning and major teardown today - intake manifold, exhaust manifold, dizzy, etc.
So far I have everything but the IM and exhaust manifold taken off and separated. Waiting right now for the car to cool down as I had to run some errands this morning.

gallery_34733_413_59869.jpg

Engine prior to anything being done - short of the A/C stuff being taken out.

gallery_34733_413_39077.jpg

So much free space! More room for the turbo this summer.

gallery_34733_413_8145.jpg

Coil removed, along with my ghetto-mount. A nicer SS one will be built later.

gallery_34733_413_53270.jpg

Dizzy, filter, throttle cable, and some other stuff taken off.

gallery_34733_413_39920.jpg

Z6 head, cleaned up, powerwashed and almost ready to go - pending painting of the valve cover, and a new exhaust mani stud.

gallery_34733_413_33240.jpg

New oil and coolant, along with a new filter - prolly go with sythetic later, but for now I'm using high-milelage blend.

I'm keeping the pics small for now - since huge images are sometimes despised here. More will be added tonight, got a few friends commin over later to help. Hopefully I'll get the head off tomorow, and put the new one on.

duh.

chris, sunday ill be able to head up thurr.

what are you driving in the meantime?

Well, driving either my father's Silverado, or more likely driving the mom's SER. As Chris noted, swapped the Felpro HG with a Honda OE one.

I'll have more pics up soon- just gotta grab the card.

Got both manifolds off last night - nothing really gave me any trouble, short of a few stupidly-placed bolts.
One bolt in particular - holding the exhaust manifold to the block did not want to leave its home. Some PB Blaster and a 4' breaker bar changed that.

gallery_34733_413_16041.jpg

Joe, my EP3 friend from town, taking the nut off.

gallery_34733_413_41367.jpg

Block, newly cleaned - from under about a 1/2" of dirt, grease and general crap.

gallery_34733_413_3942.jpg

Port matching started on the right 2 ports. Mani is at and angle in the vice, so don't get worried about the size of the ports.

gallery_34733_413_34420.jpg

Port matching FTW! Soon to be taking a wire brush to the flange. I've gotten a lot more porting work done.

gallery_34733_413_79501.jpg

Trick new SS mount base for my Blaster coil. Complete with rubber isolation mounts, and stainless hardware.
:mrgreen:

Just started tearing into the timing belt thing today, should have the head off - and hopefully the new one on.
I'm going to end up having to mod my D15 dizzy to fit the Z6 block, since a critical piece was cracked on the inside - and thwarted my swap of dizzy insides from my modified cap to the D16 distributor. Die grinder and drill press to the rescue.

Finnaly got to posting pics from yesterday, was dead tired last night and really didn't feel like posting em.
Anyways, literally a few steps away from putting the new head on, and the timing belt. I'll drop the head on this morning, bolt up the IM, hoses and the like - and then do the timing belt after. Lucky, the motor stopped at TDC ( ! ) so I won't have to turn the crank around, line up the cam on the head, and I'm in business. There was an alarming amount of sludge in the IM, but we cleaned that up, along with the TB. I match ported the runners with the gasket, and also replaced some of the worn hoses.

gallery_34733_413_18956.jpg

IM off the car - vacuum lines and coolant lines are t3h suck. Honda likes to put them in the most ridiculous places too.

gallery_34733_413_6861.jpg

Close-up of the nasty, sludgey buildup in my manifold. Yuck.

gallery_34733_413_35325.jpg

IM, 1 can of brake cleaner and 1/2 a bottle of Simple Green later. Ready for porting.

gallery_34733_413_25169.jpg

IM with all the sensors reattached. Stupid canister line to the PCV valve came off along with the tiny peice of tubing leading into it. Need to glue it back on - or something.

gallery_34733_413_26261.jpg

Head off, before I cleaned up the mating surface and removed the oil jet. Pistons don't look all that bad.

med_gallery_34733_413_21005.jpg

D16 head and my intake manifold, mocked up. 100% better looking.

gallery_34733_413_21966.jpg

New mount for overflow bottle. Big change from the ghetto-mount I previously had. Silicone + SS screws = t3h w1n.

gallery_34733_413_39241.jpg

Joe, with a JDM pose. M4d t1te y0!

make sure you drain all the coolant and flush that puppy when you are done putting the new head on.

also, its good to check timing anyways when you put the head/belt on. double check it just to be safe :)

Yo shits bananas! I totally cleaned up your block/tranmission/intake/painted valve cover/custom JDM YOoooo pose!

I dont know if you noticed, but no one else has pics in their sigs...you might wanna lose yours before brian does it for you.

nice its that guy with the white hatch i met at DD!

Chris, matt and i are probably going out there this afternoon, so be ready :)

got to see it so far, chris has done a great job.

im going to wire in his vtec tomorrow, and hopefully she turns over!! :)

Gotta get up early - need to change the oil first!

Yeah, got some pics of the semi finished motor. Need to fix an evap purge valve, bolt up a new throttle body gasket, and some misc bolts- but its finished. Mostly.

Just needs some VTAC, yo!

Before....D15B7... :thumbsdown:
gallery_34733_413_59869.jpg

After....D15Z6.... :thumbsup:
gallery_34733_413_25264.jpg

May have to adjust ignition timing a bit - and hopefully my B7 MSD wires work - but given those come through, D-series ninja has been born.

Rejoice!

IM with all the sensors reattached. Stupid canister line to the PCV valve came off along with the tiny peice of tubing leading into it. Need to glue it back on - or something.

I ended up having to epoxy mine on too, pain in the ass. Do you just remove the oil jet completely, or is it cool to replace it with one from a z6?

You Cavalation. . . I will be there tomorrow for the changing of oil, and ECU-ization. Then the test drive. . My Si will still kick its ass lol j/p bro.

As far as I know, the Z6 doesn't have an oil jet. It's only there in the B7 to spray oil over the top of the valvetrain.

And yes, hopefully the weather cooperates this afternoon, and I don't have to test drive my car in the snow.

Back