So many b's which to choose

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c97x

sorry boss, its turbo
So i wanted to go turbo d16 thought that was the route, but here in ny turbo's and obd2 dont go togheter, at least an aftermarket turbo setup that is. there is no good way to tune in ny and still pass inspection. Im forced to swap the motor, everyway i hack it i will be spending about 3k on the whole swap so here are my choices please leave some feedback as to which one would be the "best".

b20z-vtec (b16head, gsr tranny w/lsd)
ls-vtec
b16 (gen 3)
b18c (gsr)

those are my choices, my budget is 3 grand. i want it to be reliable, but id like to put down somewhere around 180whp after bolt ons etc. forced induction is out of the question, and the car to get the engine is a 97 cx hatch

Hmm.. I'm still learning about swaps, but i would suggest the B18c gsr.

As far as i know you can get it in OBD1 or OBD2.

If i remember correctly, the '97 Civic is OBD2, so in order to lower the hassle i would consider finding an OBD2 model of the B18c. And i believe the stock hp of the B18c GSR is 170hp @ 7600rpm.

Overall, IMO, the B18c GSR is always a good candidate for the 5th & 6th gen civics.

(If anyone see's any false information, please correct me. =])

Id say go with the gsr. i did one and i loved it. the b20 and ls vtech are just way too much work time and money for something that the gsr will be just as fast as. overall the gsr will probably be the most dependable.

Back