so much has changed in the last 10 years

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

9/11 happened when most of them were one. WAY too young to remember, let alone comprehend what happened.

I was always a better learner when I saw the proper way to do anything, and then tried it myself... if I didn't see it happen in person its hard for me to understand what happened. They're nine years old. Think back to when you were nine, were you a scholar and everything you ever saw or were told about make sense to you? I can say it didn't for me, I just took what I could from it. I wouldn't call them idiots or ignorant, I'd call them 4th graders. My main goal at 9 years old was to play outside, eat, sleep, and go to school.

My point has more to do with what they are being taught. I understood the first Gulf War when it was going down, I was 5 at the time. I had a map of the middle east on my wall even. But I am some what of a history freak and have always been. But to confuse 9/11 with 911 says to me that something is very wrong. The celebrity stuff and all that is trivial nonsense and changes from week to week. But not having even a simple grasp on the largest domestic terrorist attack our country has ever experienced is very very sad.

You're probably the only 5 year old I've ever known to actually pay attention to world and US events. I knew you were odd, Drake. :p

There's something to be said for letting a child be a child. Would I explain what happened? Yeah, but details are what keep most kids' attention, not just random oversights of events. I'm not sure I want to explain that all those people died when a plane hit a building, caught it on fire and then it collapsed killing hundreds and thousands. Why do you need to expose a 9 year old to that kind of information?

I'm sure you can teach them the information, and they can grasp it, but unless they're genious kids they're not going to understand everything or grasp the full effect of what happened before they're time of rememberance and comprehension.

lol if I didn't have to drive this POS Ford, I wouldn't. :p

alls i got to say is why are the all mexican and latino? that could explain why their not so bright, mexico doesnt have the best educational system..or it could just be that americas society is pretty much going down. i was taught how to do add,subtract,multiply,division, and even fractions before i got to 4th grade...and about 9/11..the kids should atleast know why our country is at war? i remember sitting in class back in 4th grade when that happened. these kids parents need to widen there horrison and the school systems need to get their head out of their asses and accually teach...

alls i got to say is why are the all mexican and latino? that could explain why their not so bright, mexico doesnt have the best educational system..or it could just be that americas society is pretty much going down. i was taught how to do add,subtract,multiply,division, and even fractions before i got to 4th grade...and about 9/11..the kids should atleast know why our country is at war? i remember sitting in class back in 4th grade when that happened. these kids parents need to widen there horrison and the school systems need to get their head out of their asses and accually teach...

You missed English though didn't you?

There opinions may not matter but I get the impression that these kids are coddled and babied. This leads them to have shitty opinions and ideas when they become adults. They turn into democrats.
fixed.

9/11 happened when most of them were one. WAY too young to remember, let alone comprehend what happened.

I bet you knew who chopped down the cheery tree, and who didn't lie when you were 9..... and you knew who hitler was.... all before your time.

i find it absurd that 9/11 doesn't exist in their mind. if they are on the internet, they saw it on a news site at somepoint. if they ever watched tv, they've heard the term and should have asked what it was about if they didn't know.

Good point B.

And as far as I know pretty much every grade school/high-school has an assembly commemorating 9/11 as well.

fixed.

I bet you knew who chopped down the cheery tree, and who didn't lie when you were 9..... and you knew who hitler was.... all before your time.

I have no clue who chopped down a cheery tree... I always thought it was a cherry tree. :ph34r:

I knew OF George Washington chopping down a cherry tree and not telling a lie when I was 9. I knew who Hitler was at 9, sure. But I didn't know why I knew him. WWII isn't exactly an elementary school topic of learning in detail. They never went into detail of what happened and why until 6th or 7th grade.]

My whole point is kids may know of it, but they don't fully comprehend it and therefore will sound like they don't know what they're talking about. That doesn't make them idiots, it makes them 9 years old.

it's 3.
reduce, reuse recycle.
the 3 R's are Reading, wRiting, & aRithmetic

hondaJDM ftw said:

and WTH does mexico's education system have to do with AMERICAN 4th graders?

Back