so my car wont start...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evo8

first off, i drive a 95 civic with a b18c. its all OBD1.

a few weeks ago i put a new clutch in and everything was running fine and dandy. clutch is finally broken in and it graps nice and hard(spec stage 3 6 puck). and the other day, i noticed that my car isnt starting normally...so im thinking my battery it done. when im at school, my car barely started...so i drove home and when and got a new battery with my other car...come back, put the battery in...connections are all good and everything...and i go to start it and nothing. it dosent even crank. you can tell that the starter it tring to crank the engine. i tried again today, and now all i hear is a "click" noise whenever i turn the key...so im thinking its something with my starter silinoid. a friend of mine also told me that my alternater might be bad...but i really dont know, and i dont want to dump money into one thing and find out the problem was the other thing. so if anyone can help me out that would be great, any info at all is apperciated!!!

-Mike

oh yeah, and sorry so long...thanks for reading this!

did you check the fuses?? it might be a 50 fuse under the hood...check those and then post again....

Also could be a main relay problem. Make sure that the Starter is grounded well and also hit it with a hammer for good measure (to make sure its not getting stuck).

test the battery. I doubt that the battery is the problem if you put it in fully charged and had no response.

check fuses.

check starter.

If you have a charged battery, then you can test the circuit quite easily. Have a friend turn the key while you have a test light touching the main wire to the starter. No light while trying to crank=bad circuit.
If the light turns on, and your battery is charged, then pull the starter and have it tested/replaced.

Well, as usual i agree with tab. if it were a main relay problem, car would turn over, but not start, so i think it is main relay.

definitely test your starter, i bet it is your culprite (sp)

checked my fuses, and they all looks good. i checked my wires and they all looked good, but when i try to turn the car on, all the grounds get REALLY REALLY HOT!! last night the car turned over slowly and it started once, but it turns over soooo slow, and sometimes it wont at all. sometimes i hear this really fast clicking noise comming from my fuse box area in my car(no the engine bay).

the topic came up yesterday that my fuel pump might be bad. but i dont think it is...because if it were, my engine would still turn over and but not get any fuel...or i might be wrong.

-Mike

forget the fuel pump... that has nothing to do with the car cranking.

The grounds on a high amperage system (starting system) get hot due to a tremendous load. So either the starter is binding itself up and is bad, or something is holding the motor back. Since you just put a new clutch in, maybe the motor is bound. Try turning the motor over with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt. See if it spins freely.

i found a used alternator so im going to buy that today for 20 bucks and see if that does something. how much do starters usually run for??

the clutch was and is still holding fine, i have a spec stage 3 6 puck...and sometimes it will chatter when i start moving, but thats just because its a 6 puck design right?? that doesnt mean that the clutch was put in wrong...

so yeah, im going to put that alternator on, then if that dosent do anything, its most likly my starter...right?

An alternator has nothing to do with your car starting other than it will not charge your battery while the engine is running hence leaving you with a dead battery. But, we've already determined that your battery is good. I wouldn't waste my time with an Alternator. Go righ for the starter.

Back