so sad. i need help. like now..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMaddict

It's a 99 LS with a B20.

I really need help with something. This stupid fuse keeps blowing AS SOON AS I START MY CAR. it's the alternator/speed sensor fuse inside under the steering wheel. it's only a 7.5A fuse, but it's killing my battery. the alternator won't charge my battery.

I pulled out the alternator and saw that the wire for the oil sensor wasn't connected, so I put that on. the problem didn't go away. I tested the alternator and figured it was bad. so I got another one. guess what.. PROBLEM'S STILL THERE. omg. i'm so frustrated.

the wire harness to the ecu looks fine. and all the wires on the clip to the alternator look fine. there are NO other fuses that blow. just that one.

where should I look next? i'm out of ideas, and I really needed my car running this week.

look for a blown light... mine was doing the samething and it was a rear brake light
somethig is shorting that cirquit and thats the weakest fuse

sounds like a ground problem. you need to trace those lines from the fuse box. there might be a splice on a line and its making contact with metal surfaces. that would be a place to start. all those lines are usually in a wire loom and sometimes the get cut open without notice. take your time and trace the lines. in the meantime ill think of other causes.

i figure it may be the speed sensor, but i don't know how to check that? when the fuse blows, the speedometer stops working. i pulled apart the VSS and put it back together, thinking it may have been loose. i haven't started it yet, but i hope it works.

I had the sort of the same problem with my 96 civic. it turned out that a rodent or something had chewed through the coating on two of the wires in the back of the engine bay. as soon as I fixed the wires the problem stopped.

wow.. it's been a few months, but we figured it may be the electronic low detector relay? NOWHERE has it.. or has even heard of it. no auto parts stores.. even the honda dealer didn't know what the hell it was, but some civics have that relay?.. so the last place we have to check.. the acura dealer. =[

Last edited:
Back