So they're killing Hubble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
Science isn't important, is it? We'll just stick to our holy books and we'll be just fine!

Ugh. Know why I voted against this administration now.

hrm... their budget is 2.4% MORE than last year... id on't think its an admin. problem this time...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 9 2005, 03:50 PM
hrm... their budget is 2.4% MORE than last year... id on't think its an admin. problem this time...
[post=458655]Quoted post[/post]​

Why else would they not repair Hubble? Bush has them dead set on this race back to the moon.

Personally I would terminate the faith based initative and pay for Hubble with that.

its hard to say though dude-- the hubble has pretty much met its match- we've got everything it is capable of seeing pretty much.

in 5 years, i'm sure an even more powerful one will be sent up

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 9 2005, 04:05 PM
its hard to say though dude-- the hubble has pretty much met its match- we've got everything it is capable of seeing pretty much.

in 5 years, i'm sure an even more powerful one will be sent up
[post=458668]Quoted post[/post]​

The universe doesn't stay still after we've photographed it all. Even then we've only seen a small percent of it. We learn something new because of Hubble just about every single day. It's scientific value is beyond comprehension.

Five years is a long time to wait without an eye in space. Sure we've got Keck but that's terrestrial based. No competition for an orbital scope.

http://www.space.com/news/hubble_budget_050121.html

That says that the White House specifically nixed Hubble's service mission in favor of a rocket to deorbit it.

NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe said even though the space agency is not getting as much money as envisioned by the president a year ago, a 2.4 percent budget increase is "rather remarkable" given the federal deficit and the spending cuts elsewhere in the government.

As for Hubble, O'Keefe said the National Academy of Sciences panel presented such a bleak assessment of a robotic mission to install new parts on the space telescope that it made little sense to presume success and, consequently, no money was put aside for such an endeavor.

Try reading the article in it entirety

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Feb 9 2005, 04:22 PM
NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe said even though the space agency is not getting as much money as envisioned by the president a year ago, a 2.4 percent budget increase is "rather remarkable" given the federal deficit and the spending cuts elsewhere in the government.

As for Hubble, O'Keefe said the National Academy of Sciences panel presented such a bleak assessment of a robotic mission to install new parts on the space telescope that it made little sense to presume success and, consequently, no money was put aside for such an endeavor.

Try reading the article in it entirety
[post=458678]Quoted post[/post]​

"The White House has eliminated funding for a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope from its 2006 budget request and directed NASA to focus solely on de-orbiting the popular spacecraft at the end of its life, according to government and industry sources."

i would not be to worried about hubble they are going to be sending up a new one pretty soon
thats what my mom says
she works at ball in boulder colorado
and is one of the lead enginers for nasa projects

Too expensive for robots to fix and they can't justify putting lives on the line for it(esp. after the last shuttle fiasco). Chill the f' out, they aren't going to dismantle nasa...

Originally posted by CarAudiophile@Feb 10 2005, 02:35 PM
We never landed on the moon.. It was all a Hollywood Hoax.
[post=459209]Quoted post[/post]​

Hahaha, that's one of the funniest conspiracy theories ever. :bo:

Back