so today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This is all UN POSSIBLE. Everyone knows that WRXs are gods gift to mankind. Talking points:

STis are the fastest cars on earth
They sound like they have cammed v8s
They are AWD and that allows them to reach speeds of 200 mph, do 100 mph around any corner, drive up ski mountains in 4 feet of snow, do jumps off of ramps, go mud bogging, rock crawling and take on Camel's Back on the Rubicon.
WRXs can out handle everything, but they drift when you want them too. They also dominate all track events, autocrosses, drag strips and even those desert airplane races. The state police need satellites to track them because they out run helicopters. And their aluminum hoods and fenders make them completely stealth.

If you get the STi you get a knob on the console that controls gravity, and the wing provides 800 pounds of downforce at 20 mph.

Everyone knows this. Duh.

Lets replace everything here with the word Supra, and we have your convoluted notions of the world.

Okay, go. Pumpkin.

Supras dont sound like they have cammed V8's. . . . they sound like Supras -_-

Supras dont sound like they have cammed V8's. . . . they sound like Supras -_-

Hmmm.

I think the beauty of the joke went clear over your head. =/

Steve thinks a piece of shit '83 na supra is god's gift to man and can even perform with a car like a WRX. Yet, he gets up in arms when people talk about the WRX.

Sure I like my WRX and put it above many older cars because its a versatile car but there's many other cars that I would prefer. Steve, just doesn't know any possible way not to be so bias.

Also: It should be noted to those viewing this, that Total and I get along fine - we pull each other's highly opinionated, opposite end of the spectrum, personalities and views.

Hmmm.

I think the beauty of the joke went clear over your head. =/

Steve thinks a piece of shit '83 na supra is god's gift to man and can even perform with a car like a WRX. Yet, he gets up in arms when people talk about the WRX.

Sure I like my WRX and put it above many older cars because its a versatile car but there's many other cars that I would prefer. Steve, just doesn't know any possible way not to be so bias.

dude, my little POS econ mirage competes easily with subarus on the autox course.

Your mirage wouldn't stand a chance against my wife in her FWD stock Legacy wagon... and with bald tires, loose steering rack, and oversized rims.... litterally....the woman can drive....I taught her everything I know...except how to drift it...:ph34r:

/end shit slinging:D

we'll see how many first place finishes you get this year :)

dude, my little POS econ mirage competes easily with subarus on the autox course.

As if the subaru wasn't an econo car as well.

What did the mirage cost new?

What did the WRX cost new?

The lines start to get blurred when you compare it to a STi.

Plus i hear you're an excellent driver and I'm not sure if you're modded or not. WRX's are in a really tough class for what they are and when you start doing the mods that actually matter you get thrown in with the big boys.

Like I said, its not my opinion that the WRX is the best car out there. It has its definite downsides. Now if it weighed as little as the mirage - forget about it, the car would be amazing given a lightweight and a nicer interior quality.

an Impreza is the econo car. The WRX takes that econo car and tosses a turbo into it. (basically)

So no, the WRX is not an econo car. There is nothing economical at all about it.

an Impreza is the econo car. The WRX takes that econo car and tosses a turbo into it. (basically)

So no, the WRX is not an econo car. There is nothing economical at all about it.

Short of gas, everything is economical.

I got a 4door, AWD car, thats faster than most cars out on the road, has the same price parts as the lower imprezas for the most part, and is a quality car.

You're really short-sighted when it comes to these cars because of their fuel economy. I was getting 27mpg in mine before I threw on some new mods where I'm virtually always in boost <I'm spooled by 2200rpms to 21psi> and getting around 20mpg. If I drive normally I get better, if I romp on it then it falls down to around 16mpg.

I got 4 slotted rotors for less than $400
Brake pads for all 4 corners - $130 for upgraded hawk hps pads
SS brake lines - $80
used turboback exhaust - $450 - and its made by mrt racing and is honestly the highest quality exhaust i have ever seen - far superior than anything factory or aftermarket.
flex uppipe - $120
pnp + coated turbo - $300
pnp + coated headers - $200, $150 after my cores were returned
5 Enkei RPF1 17x8 rims w/ Bf goodrich kdw2 tires for $700

I could go on and on...
Doesn't get more economical than that.

Check out the STi and insurance, gas, tires, rotors, pads, etc. and thats not an econo car anymore.

Last edited:
You got some parts cheap... Who's better than you ?!

Listen, I'm not saying it's the worst car in the world, but I owned one and it's not as special as everyone makes it out to be. Like it's infallible. I drove both an NA 1987 Supra and the 02 WRX Wagon and they are both dead on the same in acceleration, cornering and braking. If I close my eyes I'm in either one.

You're all insulted by this, but there is nothing to be insulted about - a Turbo,as a rule of thumb, at factory 8 or so PSI is just like adding two more cylinders (A turbo 4 is similar to an NA 6, a turbo 6 is similar to an 8.. so on). The Supra weighs the same, has about the same hp (80's Dyno figures were altered to avoid insurance and importation issues - the 1985 Corvette even claimed 225 hp, but had way more. An NA Supra truly dynoes out at about 205 hp)

The two cars are similar, why are you so insulted ?

The two cars are similar, why are you so insulted ?

Because the WRX is the next Civic of the import world. Its the car to beat, the new standard.

Everybody has one, they all (for the most part) have similar modifications, and were miles above anything else when they first came out.

The Civic went thru the same thing when Honda began offering models with VTEC motors. . . civic's with swapped engines or turbo'd stock motors were pretty quick cars that could be had for cheep - hence, the reason this site exists.

It broke the hearts of civic owners when they would find out that something else could easily beat their "high horse" rides . . why did you used to see so many "Civic vs Mustang" threads . .

Same is true of most WRX owners - same story, different car.

As if the subaru wasn't an econo car as well.

What did the mirage cost new?

What did the WRX cost new?

The lines start to get blurred when you compare it to a STi.

Plus i hear you're an excellent driver and I'm not sure if you're modded or not. WRX's are in a really tough class for what they are and when you start doing the mods that actually matter you get thrown in with the big boys.

Like I said, its not my opinion that the WRX is the best car out there. It has its definite downsides. Now if it weighed as little as the mirage - forget about it, the car would be amazing given a lightweight and a nicer interior quality.

the 2000 DE coupe (lowest model EVAR) was 11,700 new.

the wrx is about double that.

im extensively modded N/A, but totally within FSP legal limits (barely) but i doubt i even throw out 110 crank hp.

total cost i have into my car including the car is about 4.5K :)

thats all it takes to beat a wrx on the autox course. i can beat newbie STi drivers, but seasoned ones are much tougher.

No doubt about it, the WRX is a powerful contender - but it's not the Alpha and Omega of performance that everyone thinks it is. I did well with the WRX on autocross last time, I think it performed well and isn't shabby. But I kicked serious ass with the Supra.

And since leaving the Supra I stopped placing high at events.

the 2000 DE coupe (lowest model EVAR) was 11,700 new.

the wrx is about double that.

im extensively modded N/A, but totally within FSP legal limits (barely) but i doubt i even throw out 110 crank hp.

total cost i have into my car including the car is about 4.5K :)

thats all it takes to beat a wrx on the autox course. i can beat newbie STi drivers, but seasoned ones are much tougher.

but see, this is an unfair comparison if you're going by used prices or what CAN be done.

You picked the lowest model, cheapest mirage thats 2years older than the oldest WRX. You can pick up a regular impreza brand new around $16k which isn't too far off the mark.

Put your extensively modded mirage against an extensively modded WRX. Professional driver. Now you have your answer.

Autocross isn't that concerned with how much power you're putting down but rather the handling. As soon as the WRX gets swaybars, endlinks, and an anti-lift kit its an entirely new car - through other handling goodies that I'm sure you have in their like drivetrain bushings, springs, struts, strut bars, etc. and the car can compete.

The WRX was made to be a nice daily driver and as a result is too much of a fat pig, just like the Evo is - except mitsu made the Evo less complaint the regular WRX and even the STi so it is more handling driven from the factory.

For the record, a modified widebody STi just took its class and I think an open class in one of the national autocross meets. You don't usually see mirages or other cars doing that.

Consistently the STi is on top of its game, but thats an entirely different animal than my WRX.

Civic<240sx<WRX<M3....

get the order right.... Supra's don't fit into the equation because nobody can afford them...

Back