So We Called Out Suburu.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

I couldn't decide between anything goes and here so move it if you wanna. :D
Anyways - I'm sitting shotgun in my buddy's '02 WRX cruisin' down the 163 with my buddy in his '03 SVT Focus behind us. My friend who's driving and I get to talking about top speed, gear ratios, rev limiters and such. (My friend in the SVT says he can do 160 in his FOCUS, but that's ANOTHER story... :rolleyes: ) So my point is, WRX guy says he has a rev limiter at 135mph. I say, have you ever hit it? He says, Lets try! B) At 142mph he got scared and let off because my passenger-side mirror sounded like it was going to tear off! But no rev limiter. I couldn't find any specs but the dealership affirms the 135mph one. What's up? Were we just mere milaseconds away from slamming into a wall of fuel asfixiation? Or is the rev limiter BS and we can do 150+? (We weren't even at 6k RPMS) Anyone own a wrx and alot of land? :D If no-one knows, we'll hit up the desert this weekend and let ya know. :blink:

Just to let you know some speedos can quit workin after 100+ so i mean ya you could of been goin that fast or the speedo could just be bein gay, i dunno much about wrxs...

your confusing rev limiters with speed limiters

a rev limiter is set a few hundred RPM past your redline and keeps you from revving your engine to all fuck and floating a valve (this is the "bababababababababababababa" sound when you floor it to redline and hold it there)

a speed limiter is a fuel cutoff when the car reaches a certain speed there are a few kinds ... some will just not accelerate any further, some will cut fuel and slow you down like 5mph

as for the WRX im sure it has a rev limiter... but i have no clue about a speed limiter

Good call, your totally right. I meant speed limiter. Dawn wacky tobacky.

All JDM ECU's have a speed cut at 180 KpH, or 112ish MPH.

In my B16a swap, before I got my Z-Dyne SECU, I would bounce off that thing in a heardbeat. It really pissed me off when I got in interstate runs with some domestic sleeze here in Memphis. I'd pull the other car, get a car or two ahead, and then they'd go screaming past as my ecu cut the fuel and slowed me down to 105 or so. I hated that shit.

Anyway, I don't know what the WRX's speed cut is at, but if you went 143, then there's only one or two more usual "levels" that car companies put the limiter at. 155mph is one, 170 is another, which most sane people will never reach.

Huh. Well, it's the weekend. No one can verify a top speed for the US WRX. PM me if you wan't to go out to the desert tomorrow and run some top speed runs... :p I'm going to finally see what my civic pulls, (120 mph speedo buried MANY times, I'm hoping for 135-140) We'll check out the wrx and I'm calling out the POS SVT Focus. (I bet it doesn't top 140mph.) I'll post the results. If people are down, bring a video camera and a car, and maybe we'll have some cool runs! Peace -
Shadney

Or just call my cell rocking the Bay Area # - 925-765-3966

And by the way Sirkid, I used to love racing swaps with speed limiters (yes E-sol SPEED LIMITERS :lol: ) This one guy with a B16 would SMOKE up to 112 exactly and then SLAM into the limiter. My sohc does 130+. I have burned MANY swaps on the freeway that way. :p Doesn't a chipped ECU remove the limiter tho?

thats why i love having my ECU chipped :D hey when are you going to the desert again? Im from san francisco and selling my Integ soon so i wanna fuck it up as much as i can before i sell it.

:lol: :lol: Haha.. my buddy pussed on the desert run, He's scared his side-view mirror is going to rip off. If you really want to beat on your 'teg and you are coming down south PM me. Peace... ;)

Back