So what about an R18 swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joemango

With all the K-series swaps that'll be going on in the near future with 06+ civics, I wonder if it isn't too bad of an idea to swap an r-series motor (the 140hp vtec engine in the standard 06 Civic model) into a Fit. I was an EK/hybrid owner (97 HX with B18C1) and used it as my daily driver for 4 years and about 130k miles. I loved every on-ramp and stop light. The 115hp to 180hp jump was quite a treat, and it would seem that I'd get just as much of a kick out of 140hp in my Fit. Plus it made the car worth that much more when I sold it. (got $4000 for it and the odo read 309k)

Granted this will not happen any time in the next 3 years as I want to get at least 100k out of the current drivetrain (yeah, I drive that much) but who knows there might be an 06 DX with a trashed rear-end with my name on it.

Whatcha think?

Take some measurements. The Fit engine bay is a little narrow- but it will probably shoehorn into there with some help. I'm sure HASport or another company will come out with mounts for it soon.

The R18A is actually a pretty sweet engine. Compact, lightweight, and almost exactly the same internal geometry as the B18C. I see a lot of potential for it.

I imagine it won't be anywhere near as easy as my EK swap was. That took me a week and only because I had to wait for a rear engine mount. They both have the tranny on the driver's side yes?

The Fit does, yes. I don't remember what the 8G Civic looked like under the hood- but the driveline setup should be the same.

it is a similar driveline setup. however, from doing engines on an 06 EX, 06 Si, and 07 Fit (i work at honda...), i dont believe AT THIS TIME that this swap is possible. however tomorrow im going to park them next to each other and take a real good look, maybe with some photo's. we'll see, its supposed to be raining in the northeast...barf

...skeeter...

oookay... 3 years later and nobody has done this swap yet? I'm at 112k just like I said, and I'm currently having coil pack problems, in addition to money problems, so I don't think a swap is in my near future, but I'd still like a little feedback if anyone has done any investigation please post your findings. THANKS!

i'd rather work with the L15A before swapping it for a R18. R18 cam lift profiles are lose.

Cam profiles are the least of my concerns. L15A motors are gonna become pretty pricey considering they only sold them in the US for 2 years. R18's will be plentiful as I posted in the top of thread. I'm just looking for options.

I'd rather not have to cut or deform anything under the hood to do a swap, and I understand the R block is a little smaller than the K block. It's got the right orientation for the drivetrain, and it's a decent performer with good efficiency. I'm not looking for 1/4 mile times, just a little more balls and maybe options for some bolt on stuff in the future.

From what I remember of the R18 block, compared to the L15A, the r18 is only a little bigger.

The r18 weighs about the same as a k20 though, so you might be better off just putting a K in it. At least with a K-series you'd be able to bolt-on mounts and other go-faster-parts.

I looked into the r18 in the fit at one point, and decided it wasn't feasable because there's really not much aftermarket support for it. There's more support for the L15 than the R18 tbh.

Back