So, what engine is this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

victor.m

Well I just got a '94 Civic EX (Coupe) and I know it's supposed to have a d16z6 in it, but the guy who sold me the car had the engine changed before because the old one was giving him problems. I'm trying to find the engine code but can't seem to identify it. I'm looking on the right side of the engine near the exhaust manifold but I only see a big "15B" and closer to the engine a smaller "B21 01 40595". Now, I know B21s are rare, and they are also DOHC which mine doesn't seem to be..can anyone shed any light on where to maybe find the correct model number for the engine or how to identifiy it?

Thanks a lot =)

its actually on the left side of the engine next to the exhaust manifold. Theres a flat spot that has a seriel number and the engine code.

Alright, I think it's a D15b vtec SOHC as turbomirage said. Does this put me at an advantage or disadvantage over a D16Z6? Also, how can I know which D15b it is? Here are a couple of pictures, thanks for all the help =)

Alright, I think it's a D15b vtec SOHC as turbomirage said. Does this put me at an advantage or disadvantage over a D16Z6? Also, how can I know which D15b it is? Here are a couple of pictures, thanks for all the help =)

D15B is the version. It's a JDM motor, they don't label them with a fifth letter in the engine code like they do for the US versions. And yes, as others have noted it's basically a D16Z6 minus .1 liter of displacement.

Well You Are At A Horsepower Advantage Since The D16z6 Has 125 Hp And The D15b Has About 130 Hp.

Yah seems like a horsepower advantage then =) I'm guessing this isn't the 3-stage VTEC and just the regular VTEC?

Thanks for all the help, anyone have any idea where I should start with tuning? I'm a complete newbie to any of this, so I don't know much. I heard somewhere that the greatest limiting component on these engines is the intake manifold. On a completely different note, I installed an AEM short ram intake to substitute my regular intake and someone told me it might be a good idea to get a heat shield for it as opposed to a CAI. My only concern with the cold air is that I live in South Florida and people told me that even with a bypass valve getting water in the engine might be a problem. Anyone have any opinion on this? We're heavy on getting flooding every once in a blue moon.

Thanks for all the help. :)

no need to tune unless you have massive amounts of motorwork, but if you chip the ECU and have a tuner smooth out the maps more im sure you could gain a few ponies.

I only see one vtec soleniod. Sorry no 3 stage vtec.

I'm not exactly sure if I would call it 3 stage even though people call it that. Wouldn't it really be 2 stages. Normal operation, 1st stage then 2nd stage.

Back