so whats the trick to claying a vtec motor??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

i've never clayed a motor before, and definitely not a vtec motor at that...
whats the trick to getting the vtec valves down? The engine in question is a D16Z6 if it matters.

anyone?

thx :)

pull the rockers out. on your intake side, switch the locking cylinders for vtec (they are different lengths) this will keep it in "vtec". never been in a sohc head, but this is how it is done on b series.
like these here (b series)
dsc00025.jpg

You can use air pressure to lock the VTEC followers but there is also a trick where you take the cam followers apart, flip the pin setup that will force the VTEC follower to engage, reassemble, clay then put the pin setup back to stock.

so what you just switch the long & short pins so they're reversed of each other?

basically its checking valve/piston clearance. when you use an aftermarket cam/valves/pistons, you have to check that the valves dont smack the pistons so you need enough valve relief space and the correct cam timing,.

so am i correct in assuming thats how you 'flip the pins'- just install them opposite of each other? so the longer pin is where the shorter one should be?
don't mean to keep asking stupid q's, just don't wanna mess up my head or valvetrain...

Back