so you wanna be a teacher ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

An undergrad in psychology won’t even allow you to be a middle school guidance councilor, you need a PhD or at least a masters and then the figures start looking pretty damn good.

wow, good thing im more than halfway through my associates in computer science.

w00t- I'm a mechanical engineering major- sweet, we were way up there at the top of the list- I can def. handle a 49,000 starting salary

Yea the teachers at my highschool were making around 70,000 a year and they get summers off. Wouldn't mind that.

woot, computer science aint too shabby, had the largest increase over last year. i have this semester then next semester and then i'll have my BS :)

that's fxcked up. people who are trained to help others through major problems get paid less than an accountant. :thumbsdown: according to that article i make about as much as a psychologist does and i'm only a receptionist :/ :hmm:

Fireman, except of course volunteers, make about $40,000 as well. For me to buy the same level of health insurance as my father, would cost me $14,000 yearly.

-> Steve

Which School was that? $70,000 - right. I am a teacher and I gaurentee most GOOD teachers don't actually have the summer off. Most work a second job, take care of their kids, or work on classroom stuff for the next year. Oh yeah throw a 5 credit every couple of years requirement and the time of really isn't that much. It takes a certain breed to teach.

my sister makes 24k teacher ESL to asian and porterican kids.

fuckign waste.

i dropped out of college, and clear more than all but the top 2 salaries on that list.

its pretty fucking sad.

seriously my history teacher was takin home 70,000 a year and she had the summer off except the one summer school course she taught. The principal was makin 120 easy.

Originally posted by Incredib1e@Feb 19 2004, 11:45 AM
seriously my history teacher was takin home 70,000 a year and she had the summer off except the one summer school course she taught. The principal was makin 120 easy.

I am calling :bs: on this. There is no way that a HS teacher was pulling in 70K for working 3/4 of the year.

wow, good thing im more than halfway through my associates in computer science.

An associates in CS isn't going to get you there for a starting salary. This survey is about people with 4 year degrees. Besides how much CS can one actually study in 2 years while taking all the gen ed classes that are still required?

there was just a whole post on h-t about what teachers make, some teachers make soem dayum good bank i'll say that

It is possible for teachers to make that much but you need to have a masters like 40 more credits to get there, plus do some other stuff on the side like dept. head or something. The tope here in Madison WI is like 72,000 for a masters +40 credits. and 20 years experience.

http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/hr/tchrsalsched.htm

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Feb 19 2004, 12:40 PM
please don't encourage me b- i'd already like to do that

Here's some encouragement for you man... I finished my ME degree, and my starting salary was higher than the top on the list- and after you factored in bonuses and profit sharing- well, it was pretty close to that theoretical high school teacher's salary.

How's that for motivation? Stay in school.

Originally posted by chestercheeto48@Feb 19 2004, 01:00 PM
It is possible for teachers to make that much but you need to have a masters like 40 more credits to get there, plus do some other stuff on the side like dept. head or something. The tope here in Madison WI is like 72,000 for a masters +40 credits. and 20 years experience.

http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/hr/tchrsalsched.htm

That is not very good money for the education required. A BA opens you at 29K a PhD opens you at $36K. You could make a heck of a lot more than $36K starting in many other fields, most with less than a PhD.

Oh... to add to it- ALL of my friends that graduated EE with me are now clearing MORE than that "teacher"... and that's with only 3 years out of school. Stick to it.

Back