so you wanna be a teacher ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Trinity@Feb 19 2004, 01:39 PM
there was just a whole post on h-t about what teachers make, some teachers make soem dayum good bank i'll say that

yeah it's all about the location :roll:

word of advice....from personal experience....

steer clear of chicks who are psych majors.... they are some of the BIGGEST fucking nut-jobs out there....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Feb 19 2004, 11:31 AM

steer clear of chicks who are psych majors.... they are some of the BIGGEST fucking nut-jobs out there....

and they know exactly to fuck with your mind

Here's some encouragement for you man... I finished my ME degree, and my starting salary was higher than the top on the list- and after you factored in bonuses and profit sharing- well, it was pretty close to that theoretical high school teacher's salary.

How's that for motivation? Stay in school.

thanks Calesta- although i don't really like it here at villanova, it isn't the courses that are bad, it's the social life and the lack of anything constructive to do- well plus i can't have the honda here- haha, but thanks for the encouragemnt- that kind of money is enough to make me stick around here for my masters B)

I don't have a master's... yet. You can go even higher with that! :)

Teacher pay all depends where you teach.

My aunt is a teacher in a small community, but one that is mostly lawyers, etc. in the southwest side of okla, she pulls in the mid 50's home a yr.

My friend's mom is a teacher in of the prestige (sp?) Chi-town suburbs and is pulling 72k a yr home.

All depends where you go and how much the city has to pay.

Yes but usually with high pay you have high cost of living so it doesn't always mean that much if you're making 7x,xxx dollars

Yea NJ is probably one of the highest costs of living but if shes making 70,000 shes doing all right. You can make a living off of much less. Probably has a husband too. Just bringing in more money.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Feb 19 2004, 03:31 PM

my girlfriend is going into child psych for her PhD, im fuct :(

Originally posted by xyswany+Feb 19 2004, 06:30 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Feb 19 2004, 03:31 PM

my girlfriend is going into child psych for her PhD, im fuct :(

RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

Originally posted by JOHNNYLIGHTFOOT+Feb 19 2004, 03:57 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Feb 19 2004, 11:31 AM

and they know exactly to fuck with your mind

Doesn't every fucking girl know how to do that, or do I just meet a lot of fucked up girls?

down here in florida, starting salary for Education majors with a 4 year is 26k, that i know for fact. There is also a bright side, job security, benefits, time off, and hoenestly - teaching at the elementay level is not too difficult.

University professors make great money, some - not all.

Lets see, I have 2 degrees going back for a third in accounting, then my MBA in two years. I was making "on a path of" 45k for this year starting out of school.

Originally posted by Calesta+Feb 19 2004, 02:05 PM-->
Slammed90Lude
@Feb 19 2004, 12:40 PM
please don't encourage me b- i'd already like to do that

Here's some encouragement for you man... I finished my ME degree, and my starting salary was higher than the top on the list- and after you factored in bonuses and profit sharing- well, it was pretty close to that theoretical high school teacher's salary.

How's that for motivation? Stay in school.

Thats great to hear, good reason to do anything I can to get my ass through the semesters of calculus and get my ME degree. What did you find out of school w/ your degree? And how hard do you think it would be to find a job in so cal in the automotive industry?

Originally posted by lsvtec+Feb 19 2004, 11:05 AM-->
chestercheeto48
@Feb 19 2004, 01:00 PM
It is possible for teachers to make that much but you need to have a masters like 40 more credits to get there, plus do some other stuff on the side like dept. head or something. The tope here in Madison WI is like 72,000 for a masters +40 credits. and 20 years experience.

http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/hr/tchrsalsched.htm

That is not very good money for the education required. A BA opens you at 29K a PhD opens you at $36K. You could make a heck of a lot more than $36K starting in many other fields, most with less than a PhD.

ouch, i'm making 45k a year right now still working on my BS degree... i'm still technically an intern

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 19 2004, 01:23 PM
wow, good thing im more than halfway through my associates in computer science.

An associates in CS isn't going to get you there for a starting salary. This survey is about people with 4 year degrees. Besides how much CS can one actually study in 2 years while taking all the gen ed classes that are still required?

not a problem.

ive already got a good number of certifications, and such... and ive knocked out most of my pre-requisites during my senior year in high school and in the army.

i made 20k in 6 months without a degree at my current job... as soon as i get my associates i will be moving up... :)

If you are truly going into CS and not into administration or Information systems, certifications are really useless. What I was attempting to say is get the 4 year, it is really worth your time to do so. A two year degree will cover only the basics.

20K is less than half of your potential with a 4 year degree. I don't remember the exact number from that article (go look it up if you want to know) but they claim $49K straight out of school as an average. I have heard of people still going closer to $55 or $60k straight from school.

the two year covers your basics just like everyone that goes to college must finish, shit even your junior year your taking the same core courses as your classmates that are in the same college of "____". It's usually your last year that you get your all your major classes in. The more interesting part..

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 20 2004, 01:14 PM
20K is less than half of your potential with a 4 year degree. I don't remember the exact number from that article (go look it up if you want to know) but they claim $49K straight out of school as an average. I have heard of people still going closer to $55 or $60k straight from school.

One of my buddies pulled 6 figures straight out of school... but he was ECE. No CS there.

:)

Back