soch vtec swap info needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spades614

i am trying to put soch on 88 honda civic hatch but i dont know i i just get the stock d series block and put soch vtech head on it or if there a specific engine i need also i some one could show me a lnk or something to where they did whole non sosh to vtec soch please help sorry for being a super noob i just came from having a gst eclispe

Last edited:
Wait. Stop. Please fix your grammar so that I can comprehend it.

You want to put an SOHC VTEC in your 88 hatch?

yes but i dont know were to start what block i need or or how to do the wiring or what kind of ucu i need

It depends. Do you want a mini-me or a straight swap? Because the way your talking about blocks and heads sounds like you want a Frankenstein. If you just want an SOHC, then pick up a D16Z6. As far as I know it's a direct bolt in, the wiring is the only real thing you'll have to do. Hit up rywire.com for an obd0->obd1 (I believe, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) jumper, and then you'll have to do some stuff for the ecu that I'm not sure about. Also, pick up an si tranny.

if your doin a z6 direct swap you can just use your old harness from your 88 and hook it up to your new motor the only thing your gunna have to do is a dizzy conversion but just go to the junk yard and cut the clips for it. your gunna have to get a 4 wire o2 sensor and a obd0-obd1 jumper you can get em off ebay for alil cheaper they work fine i have one and get an obd1 ecu like a p28 and just make sure you do all the maintainence items you can when its out of the car too like ifit needs a rear seal an

im super new to hondas so i just want to knlow if any sohc vtec head fit on any d series block or is there certain blocks certain years that the only fit and whats a dizzy

Last edited:
All D-Series blocks are almost the same, hell I would call them the same. There are only 3 different types of D-series SOHC VTEC heads.

1) D16Z6 - 92-95 Civic Si, EX
2) D15B - 92-95 Civic from Japan (Wont find in any auto wrecker)
3) D16Y8 - 96-00 Civic EX

The cheapes and easiest option is the D16Z6. If you can find the whole motor that would be better than the D15B2 block and D16Z6 head combo. (D15B2 is the motor in your car, which model of Civic do you have?) Every head fits on every block, but it has to be D-series, same goes for B-Series and so on. Dizzy is just slang for a distributor.

right now i have an engine from an d161A 89 integra engine in it which brings me to my next question is that a good engine to keep or or go single cam vtec i have been reading that building zc are waste of time if not turbo but i dont want to go turbo also will the sohc vtec head fit on the d161a i have in it now

Last edited:
the engine you have is a D16A1, not a D161A. For the amount of money your going to be spending on a swap, your not going to gain nearly as much power as you think. From what i can tell, your engine comes stock with 118 HP. Puting a D16Z6 in is really only going to give about another 15 HP if im not mistaken. Whether or not a Z6 head fits on that block, im not sure, but money to power wise, it just seems like you'd be wasting money.

i already have a head my freind gave for free and p28 ecu i dont know what kind of tranny i got but it says L-3 on it i just need to know if the head will fit on the block or what other 1,6 i could get

I really don't know, I have a feeling that it will be different because the D16A1 is DOHC. But I really don't know. Either someone else can tell you or search Google.

sohc d-series heads are not compatible with dohc d-series bottom ends, or vice versa. although someone did go through some crazy lengths to retap the head bolt holes and somehow made a dohc d-series head work on a sohc bottom end. it was quite difficult and required precision drilling tools to pull it off. so for all intensive purposes no they are not interchangeable.

So basically either live with what you got or get a block and do all the work for only 10-15 hp. You could probably get close to that with I/H/E ect.

Back