SODC/DOHC Head question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

earthquake5683

My buddy's car quite running a few days back and when I took a look at it this morning it had a snapped camshaft. It's a F22B (SOHC Non-Vtec) in a Odyssey van here in Japan. I am planning on pulling the heads next weekend to see what happened but he did mention that he had a oil light for quite some time that would flicker. Sludge in the top end was there today. My main question is this: Can I drop a DOHC non VTEC head on it, set the timing and he be driving off? Reason for this is that the Japanese junkyards won't sell me just a camshaft and the half circle where the camshaft rotates is all torn up where it snapped at. He would have to buy the whole engine. The on-base junkyard will sell me a head setup for 75 bucks.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

H22 and H23 heads can be bolted onto F22 blocks. I'm not sure on the specifics though, you'll have to do some more research. I'd assume there might be some minor modifications needed as there are in an LS/VTEC (oil routing and what not). You'd also need the ECU that goes with the head, obviously...

Thanks for the assistance. I should have been more clear with the first post. The DOHC head would be coming from another F22B. I have done about 10 hours over the past 3 days with this site and a few others trying to find an answer but still having a hard time. One person talking about a d16 block said it would not work. I assume since the blocks are labeled F22B they would be the same, but wanted to verify as I am not normally a honda person. Would I have to change the ECU? I assume the timing might be off a tad, but can I adjust that with the distrubutor?

Thanks for the assistance,
Joe

Oh, I'm sorry, I read it wrong. You said you want to put a non-VTEC head on it. I thought you were talking about an H22 head. In that case, then yeah, it should be pretty much a bolt-on swap. Ideally yes, you'd want the ECU that goes with the head, but you can probably get away with the stock ECU if the dual-cam head's isn't available, and just tweak it on the distributor like you said...

Back