sohc or dohc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97 turbo coupe

my dumb little buddy wants to which motor is beter and would make more horsepower a sohc or dohc he dont believe can some put some light on this subject

Doesn't matter either way. DOHC cars have a higher VE and more weight.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 20 2003, 08:30 PM
DOHC cars have a higher VE and more weight.

this makes no sense...

weight is part of a car, not a motor. granted, they dohcs are larger, and thus a little heavier... but 30 lbs really isn't noticeable.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 21 2003, 07:23 AM-->
sleepergtx
@Oct 20 2003, 08:30 PM
DOHC cars have a higher VE and more weight.

this makes no sense...

weight is part of a car, not a motor. granted, they dohcs are larger, and thus a little heavier... but 30 lbs really isn't noticeable.

The added power you get from the larger motor more than makes up for the extra few lbs - btw, if your car is a daily driver, i'd be more than willing to bet you have at least 30 lbs of crap in the car (junk, spare tire, tools, stuff - etc) you could remove to make up for the added weight if it is really a big deal to ya.

Originally posted by h22bubbleback+Oct 21 2003, 09:41 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Oct 20 2003, 07:30 PM
Doesn't matter either way. DOHC cars have a higher VE and more weight.

:asshat:

Well, I guess no one cares to learn why I say that, so they just jump on people because they wanna feel smart. And nobody knows anything about volumetric efficiency and how DOHC designs tend to flow better? What do you think you do when you do a port and polish? You increase flow, thereby adding Volumetric Efficiency. Read something.

Stuff to read. Don't whine, there's no cliffnotes.

Edit: You can make just as much power out of a SOHC as you can a DOHC, so to me the extra weight is trivial. It'll be EASIER to port and polish DOHC cars. But you can build both.

Yeah you can make big horsepower numbers out of either motor, but a dohc motor naturally flows better and is more responsive- It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out-

If you people would read carefully this guy said that DOHC CARS are heavier. He never said the engine itself is regardless of the fact that we know they are.

Originally posted by SLA@Oct 21 2003, 11:22 PM
Dohc in the long run but sohc is natually quicker off the line!!

:ufucktard:

If you people would read carefully this guy said that DOHC CARS are heavier. He never said the engine itself is regardless of the fact that we know they are.
ok, now you people are just splitting hairs. Shut up already.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Oct 22 2003, 11:33 AM-->
@Oct 21 2003, 11:22 PM
Dohc in the long run but sohc is natually quicker off the line!!

:ufucktard:

ok, now you people are just splitting hairs. Shut up already.

Thanks!! :D

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 22 2003, 11:37 AM
they both perform, depends on what you want you application to do.

:werd: what kind of power do you want to make?

Back