sohc vtec build

which is better

• full jdm d15b vtec sw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2e2vin

for all of them i plan on using p29 pistons, p28 ecu, and zex street/strip cams

which build would be the best? im sort of limited on budget(not really lol) but want to know which has the most potential with bang for buck.

I wouldn't go with the JDM d15b, for lack of parts and when my buddy's car broke ringlands in his d15b it was a pain in the ass (long story). He bought a used Y7 block (spun rod bearing), then a used Y8 block (spun rod bearing), so under further investigation he found out it's pretty common for those Y7/Y8 blocks. Just from helping him change out those bottom ends I can tell you I will never go with a Y block just incase lol. You could tell they were fucked on the first crank, but he though it was the valves, they both lasted about 5 minutes until they started knocking like a mofo. I wouldn't go with the d15b2 again because the lack of parts and a D16 would be a much better choice anyways. I guess that leaves you with a d16z6. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 12 2004, 12:26 PM
z6 block, y8 head, y8 tranny
[post=401651]Quoted post[/post]​

I defintely agree on the Y8 tranny, but why the Y8 head? I bet there wouldn't be much of a difference at all between the Z6/Y8 head, especially for an all motor car. I would just swap a Y8 intake manifold on the Z6 and call it a day.

easy enough.

the y8 head is SLIGHTLY better. if they can be had for the same price, go with the y8.

z6 tranny's are garbage. i went through 3 on a pracitcally stock car between 90 and 140k (albeit, the send ones were used as well)

the y8's insides are better built

Do you have info or links? I believe on that sohchonda.com thread I posted they said Larry from endyn (very trustworthy) was the one saying the A6 head flows better then the Z6 in stock form. I have also heard from my buddy with a d15b that his head is pretty much the same as the Z6 head (he researched this), except of course as you mentioned the d15b cam is basically a ZEX 59300.

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 12 2004, 04:09 PM
the a6 isn't vtec .. i stated that the d15bvtec is the best flowing sohc vtec head.. and it is .. i have to wait till my brother gets online and he'll send me some links ...
[post=401783]Quoted post[/post]​

the difference between the z6 head and the d15b head is only the cam as far as i know...and moose from the sohchonda site flow tested the heads and said the stock z6 actually flowed better then a ported y8 head....the only good thing about the y8 head is the combustion chambers are squared off.

i have a 94 civic dx with a 98 dx motor (d16y7) and i want to throw vtec on it. Is this all i need to make it work......... z6 head, z6 dizzy, p28, i wanna go with the y8 IM, and hook up the vtec sileniod (i dont know how to spell), is that it?

Take my advice..

ok first of all for those who said if you use the d15 bottem end isnt a good choice.. your wrong. lemme explain..

in my personal opinion..
i did this swap last month and dyno'd it also..

d16z6 head
d15b7 short block
with pm3 pistons
oem rods
75mm bore
84.5mm stroke

9.2 c/r with stock head..

but after take my sweet time and removing the oil jet resistor and re torqueing v/t in my head.. and making sure all my valve adj were to spec. replacing the fuel pump and belts etc etc... and so on.. i did a compression check.. my mini me was read at 9.8:1 c/r.. know that the z6 has only 34.60 cc per cyl in the heads spec i was better off than the stock z6 9.2:1.. more comp ment more power right? yes to a certain extent.. after my dyno run i only was pushing 115bhp versus the stock z6 125bhp (bhp" doesn't mean block horse power for some of you undergraduates out there it means Brake horse power") now your thinking this guys dumb invested all that time for 9 bhp gain when he could of got a swap and pushed the full 125-127bhp... eerrrhhhgg!! wrong. heres what i gained.. 9bhp plus the aditional 8 ft-lbs of torque.. now for all you d series fans out there .. everyone knows what gets going when the going gets tuff.. TORQUE.. how are you gonna tell me a block that has less weight and the same amount of torque as d16z6 and 10 less horsepower is gonna be a loss... hp matters only when high end.. being the 1/4 is gonna end in your 3rd gear.. torgue is gonna make sure you pull right next to that d16y8 in that run.. not saying your going to beat himm.. looks like a close tie to me... though if your not smart and you didnt tune ure car like me your not going to get the result you want...

any question at all on d series talk to me.. if not im out bye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back