SOHC VTEC crossover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsol94

i jus swaped to a fresh jdm zc d16z6 and i have a chipped ecu, should i be able to feel the vtec crossover thats set at 4500 rpm or no because its a single cam, i dnt feel it at all and dnt know if its hitting vtec

you should feel it, and hear it the D is loud when vtec kicks in.
you're joking right?

1) you're not supposed to feel Vtec when it kicks in. It should be a smooth transition.

2) The D series isn't loud at all. You have to really pay attention to hear it since they only have Vtec on the intake side rather than both sides like the B Series motors. Of course built D Series motors are the exception but in general, Vtec isn't loud on these motors at all.

To add to #1, VTEC crossover shouldn't even be felt on built motors as well. Crossovers should always be as smooth as possible.

i have to disagree on the d series not being loud at the crossover, that is IF u have a short ram intake. mine is pretty damn loud my wife can hear me coming home 4 blocks down the road when my vtec rips, and it is a "lousy" single cam lol. now if u have a stock intake, u aint gonna hear it. b series crossovers are fuckin nuts! they are really loud. puts a single cam crossover to shame.

Ive always heard a B16 solenoid on a Z6 makes vtec pop, but then again ive heard like said above that a good vtec transition shouldnt be heard at all, yes youll hear a difference in the engines note but not a sudden surge in power. The z6 is the only sohc vtec that the B16 solenoid will bolt onto, this doesnt work with the Y8s. FYI

hmmm, idk about the b16 solenoid on a d16z6. i personally have never heard of that. and no crossover should be felt, if it is then ur have your crossover set at the wrong spot. bc vtec kicks on when your tq curve is starting to drop that way u ahve a constant power, not a drop then and increase that can be felt. the smoother the transistion the better. and of course the louder the better!

ok, well thanks guys, the motor has simple bolt ons, header, aem intake, catch can, greddy exhaust, and a chipped and vtec convertet p06 ecu with vtec set at 4500, it runs fine, jw if i should hear it crossover, its not a wiring issue cuz theres no vtec code so that answeres that, thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back