SOHC ZC TO DOHC ZC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Projekt Koncept

I've just recently found a '89 Civic SI Hatchback with a ZC swapped into it. The thing is, I'm confused...

Is a SOHC ZC the same as a D16A6, just with a differant head?
Or is it an entirely differant block?
If it is a differant block, can I swap the SOHC head with a DOHC head?

I read the write up on the ZC series info, but it wasn't clear to me which generations were SOHC/DOHC, or are they all? :unsure:

My end goal is to have a DOHC ZC, and I'm trying to understand what all this car currently has. :worthy:

The SOHC ZC is exactly the same as the D16A6 with the exception of the camshaft. The pistons are the same, the crank and rods are the same (mine were all stamped "PM6") and then head casting is even the same. You have 10 degrees more duration on the exhaust lobes, 5 degrees more overlap with the intake lobes, and .0025" more lift on the exhaust side too.

The DOHC ZC head won't bolt up to the SOHC ZC or D16A6 block.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 22 2004, 12:15 PM
The SOHC ZC is exactly the same as the D16A6 with the exception of the camshaft. The pistons are the same, the crank and rods are the same (mine were all stamped "PM6") and then head casting is even the same. You have 10 degrees more duration on the exhaust lobes, 5 degrees more overlap with the intake lobes, and .0025" more lift on the exhaust side too.

The DOHC ZC head won't bolt up to the SOHC ZC or D16A6 block.
[post=420380]Quoted post[/post]​

Out of curiosity, does this mean it's possible to swap the head of the SOHC ZC with a Y8/Z6?

Back