SOHC ZC W/ VTEC HEAD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM_EF

Hey i have 90 HB SI w/ a sohc zc with the mpfi. My question is, if i put a vtec head on it will i get any power gains and if i want to hook up the vtec what do i have to do. Also if some one knows of something i can do to it to get some power out of the little guy i woul appreceate it. thanx.

Originally posted by JDM_EF@Mar 14 2005, 08:02 PM
Hey i have 90 HB SI w/ a sohc zc with the mpfi. My question is, if i put a vtec head on it will i get any power gains and if i want to hook up the vtec what do i have to do. Also if some one knows of something i can do to it to get some power out of the little guy i woul appreceate it. thanx.
[post=473589]Quoted post[/post]​

:search:, the info is out there

Yup, you'll gain some power. The process is the exact same as putting a VTEC head on a D16A6. Search for mini-me here on the forum and out on the web- you'll find TONS of information.

but will the mini me swap work with a zc? and what if i use the zc cam on the vtec head, will it do anything or is the vtec head cam better.

u cant use the ZC cam on the vtec head...non vtec cams,and vtec cams have different grinds,and lobes...most of the time,even sizes...and the ZC cam is weaker than the vtec cam anyway,u have to swap the whole head.

Originally posted by JDM_EF@Mar 16 2005, 12:52 AM
but will the mini me swap work with a zc? and what if i use the zc cam on the vtec head, will it do anything or is the vtec head cam better.
[post=474128]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes you can swap the VTEC head onto the SOHC ZC- like I said, it's the same block as the D16A6. The cam won't work- you'll be able to use any aftermarket SOHC VTEC D series cam though.

avoid the Y8 vtec head though and if you do use the Y8 get a thicker head gasket than the Y8 one. Also be sure if you get a aftermarket cam gear to ge tthe Y8 one or you will have to adjust the Z6 half a tooth to fix the timing.

If you get the Z6 head and get a aftermarket one and are using the SOHC ZC block (this is if it is indeed the same as the A6) get the Y8 cam gear and flip the cam so you can use the TDC aligment without it being off and put the cam gear at 0 also. It will only be off .5 instead of half a tooth.

There was a big discussion about this last week on D-series.

I have not heard of too many people doing this mini-me swap. I guess if you went through all that to get the SOHC ZC it would seem like a overkill to take it back to being just another A6 bock with a Z6 head swap. But I would love to see it.

Good luck with the swap If you do it I would love to see some pics im working on a website for Mini-me swaps (no forum promise) dysturbed@gmail.com for pictures.

Dysturbed

my advice..get away from the ZC if u can..cus i raced a hatch with a zc in it..that had intake,header,exhaust,clutch,8 lb flywheel..and some other shit...and all i had at the time was intake,exhaust,and cam gears,and i spanked him by 3 cars in my crx with LS in it...what im saying is..u can build the fuck out the zc..and still not put down any serious power or torque..and your gonna be dissapointed,when u have all those parts bolted on to your engine,and your still getting your ass whooped..cus when i popped my hood for him,he got mad.

Originally posted by Dysturbed_90dx_4dr@Mar 17 2005, 12:21 AM
avoid the Y8 vtec head though and if you do use the Y8 get a thicker head gasket than the Y8 one. Also be sure if you get a aftermarket cam gear to ge tthe Y8 one or you will have to adjust the Z6 half a tooth to fix the timing.

If you get the Z6 head and get a aftermarket one and are using the SOHC ZC block (this is if it is indeed the same as the A6) get the Y8 cam gear and flip the cam so you can use the TDC aligment without it being off and put the cam gear at 0 also. It will only be off .5 instead of half a tooth.

There was a big discussion about this last week on D-series.

I have not heard of too many people doing this mini-me swap. I guess if you went through all that to get the SOHC ZC it would seem like a overkill to take it back to being just another A6 bock with a Z6 head swap. But I would love to see it.

Good luck with the swap If you do it I would love to see some pics im working on a website for Mini-me swaps (no forum promise) dysturbed@gmail.com for pictures.

Dysturbed
[post=474640]Quoted post[/post]​

Why avoid the Y8 head? It's got better quench area, and it'll give higher compression too, which is better for all motor applications. There's nothing weird about "taking it back to just being another A6 block" because the only difference between the SOHC ZC and the D16A6 is the camshaft. Rip is apart and sell the cam to someone who wants to run without VTEC.

Can you link me to the big discussion thread on D-series?

I found a compression calculator on the internet and it was calculating that i would be running 13s and 12s at the lowest in compression ratios. How will my motor sound and run at those kind of compression ratios. Is it safe and someone told me that i would have to be using mad gas, such as 100 octane and up, basically racing fuel. Is that true and if someone could link me to the d series discussion also i would appreciate it. Also hearing from someone who has done the mini me would help also. I would like to hear how it runs.

Yeah 12:1 compression isn't really something that's either economical or possible to street drive you will have some mad problems getting rid of detnation also because you will have to run 100 octane to get rid of it.

As i said i would avoid going over 11.1:1 compression for street and even at that you are going to have to use higher grade gas. At 10.5:1 you need to step up even.

The point of the mini-me swap is both for compression and adding those extra valves but you have to be willing to do alot of tuning and alot of spending to get the right gas for the resulted engine.

Dysturbed

as someone mentioned before d-series.org all we talk about is mini-me and turbo d's

Originally posted by JDM_EF+Mar 18 2005, 01:16 AM-->
I found a compression calculator on the internet and it was calculating that i would be running 13s and 12s at the lowest in compression ratios. How will my motor sound and run at those kind of compression ratios. Is it safe and someone told me that i would have to be using mad gas, such as 100 octane and up, basically racing fuel. Is that true and if someone could link me to the d series discussion also i would appreciate it. Also hearing from someone who has done the mini me would help also. I would like to hear how it runs.
[post=475231]Quoted post[/post]​

You're doing something wrong with the compression calculator then. With just a Y8 head on a SOHC ZC block, you're only going to get 10.33:1 compression. Even running compression in the 12s is doable on pump gas in a Honda engine. I ran 12.6:1 on 92 octane, and I'm running right up at 13:1 on 93 octane. No problems. It's all about tuning- and you don't even need to be tuned that well to run mid 12 compression on 93 octane gas.

Originally posted by Dysturbed_90dx_4dr@Mar 18 2005, 06:59 AM
Yeah 12:1 compression isn't really something that's either economical or possible to street drive you will have some mad problems getting rid of detnation also because you will have to run 100 octane to get rid of it.
[post=475253]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. 12:1 is streetable on a D with 91-93 octane pump gas. Even your most illustrious members on D-series.org are running in the 12s on pump gas. Go look at all the guys running DOHC ZC pistons in their blocks.

Originally posted by Dysturbed_90dx_4dr@Mar 18 2005, 06:59 AM
As i said i would avoid going over 11.1:1 compression for street and even at that you are going to have to use higher grade gas. At 10.5:1 you need to step up even.

How? Factory built cars with 11.0:1 (S2000) and 11.5:1 (Celica GT-S) are built to run on 91 octane gas and still have some room for error from retard owners that might put in a tank of 87 octane.

Dysturbed_90dx_4dr
@Mar 18 2005, 06:59 AM
The point of the mini-me swap is both for compression and adding those extra valves but you have to be willing to do alot of tuning and alot of spending to get the right gas for the resulted engine.

Dysturbed

as someone mentioned before d-series.org all we talk about is mini-me and turbo d's

The point of the mini-me is to get the higher flow in the upper rev range of your power band from VTEC- you're not adding any valves unless you're making a mini-me out of an HF or CX engine. He's not doing that- he wants to put a VTEC head on an engine that already has 16 valves.

You also don't gain that much compression- maybe one full point.

You may talk about nothing but D blocks on D-series.org, but somehow I doubt that you're reading that much if you think that 12:1 needs 100 octane gas.

my advice..get away from the ZC if u can..cus i raced a hatch with a zc in it..that had intake,header,exhaust,clutch,8 lb flywheel..and some other shit...and all i had at the time was intake,exhaust,and cam gears,and i spanked him by 3 cars in my crx with LS in it...what im saying is..u can build the fuck out the zc..and still not put down any serious power or torque..and your gonna be dissapointed,when u have all those parts bolted on to your engine,and your still getting your ass whooped..cus when i popped my hood for him,he got mad.

torque on the ZC's is about 105 or 106 ft lbs
B18 torque is 125 ft lbs...

I/H/E clutch and flywheel is hardly built...
turbo mini-me>LS

Well calesta you seem pretty knowledgeble, how hard do you think my car will be running and to what would you compare it. Also what would your advise be on me doing this or not, because this is my daily driver. Because right now i spank on my friend that is running an EG w/ a single V and i have also spanked on a 3rd gen ls.

How hard? You mean how much power? You can make 150whp on a SOHC VTEC pretty easily, and even more isn't that hard if you pick the right parts. 150whp on your SOHC VTEC in a 90 Si would be pretty comparable to most B16 swaps. Just make sure you know how to tune your car or go to someone who does.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12556
There is the tread about the Y8 gear being off. I can't seem to find the thread about turning the camshaft over and using the Y8 gear on the Z6 head.

Also i ment to say 91 instead of 100 my bad.
(to back that statement up that is exactly what someone told me on D-series for a 10.5:1 compression to run 91-93 octane to be safer from detnation.)

Also Vtec does open up extra valves at higher RPM by computer control (instead of the camshaft control) and that is what i ment by (the extra valves)

All mini-me setups gain compression unless you change the pistons to Vitaria pistons or put Z6 pistons in a A6. Those will lower compression instead of raise it. Which would be good for turbo i guess.

I guess i take a more conservative view on engines than some people. I appologize for any confusion.

Dysturbed

Yes, the Y8 gear is off- but that's easily corrected with the proper cam gear. If you use the Y8 cam with the Y8 gear, it's not off at all. Not a big deal.

Wow... 91-93 for 10.5:1 compression? That's not just conservative.... that's playing so safe you never even left the sandbox. Stock B series engines run compression levels higher than that, and that's on the super conservative factory tunes. Tune things yourself and you can run into the 12s without any issues on pump gas.

VTEC opens extra valves by computer control? Not by cam control? Huh? What are you smoking? The computer tells the VTEC solenoid to pressurize the VTEC pins to lock the intake followers all together to follow the VTEC lobe, but it doesn't change the number of valves that open. All 16 are functioning all the time unless you're running a VTEC-E engine, and even then the "non-opening valve" still opens up a little bit.

Yes, all mini-me setups gain compression if you don't change the pistons- but not a single damn one of them will go over 10.5:1 compression if you use the block's stock pistons and a stock thickness head gasket.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 18 2005, 10:05 AM

torque on the ZC's is about 105 or 106 ft lbs
B18 torque is 125 ft lbs...

I/H/E clutch and flywheel is hardly built...
turbo mini-me>LS
[post=475292]Quoted post[/post]​

bwahaha turbo mini me wont do shit against a turbo LS...theres less tuning that can be done,and the fact that taking a NON vtec and low torque block,and slapping a Vtec head on it,and boosting it,is actually more popular than getting the WHOLE block,and having normal power and torque numbers is retarded...a fuckin all motor LS vtec can shit on a turbo mini me...cus ive seen it before...and i never said his car was built..but if his tranny and head can rev higher than mine..and he has a quick shifting clutch and flywheel..and a header,u think hed be able to do more against a ls with an intake...thats like saying a b16 cant beat an ls cus of torque...cus what it lacks in torque,it makes up for top end...but if u like mini me single cam turbo setups,then great for you B)

block's stock pistons and a stock thickness head gasket.

I've always heard that your sposed to use the head's gasket not the blocks when you do a mini-me unless your talking about a Y8 in which case you have more of a option of using one or the other cause the compression gets higher if you use the Y8's. That's a general rule there are exceptions.

a d16A6 with stock pistons mated to a Y8 head with a Y8 head gasket approches 11.1:1 compression according to what im reading also. This is why i said to avoid the Y8 head gasket.

Dysturbed

Back