SOHC ZC W/ VTEC HEAD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Will I be able to use my distributor that i currently have or should i be using the one that the y8 has? Also what head gasket should i use then? Will the vtec ecu just plugg right in without me rewiring anything else, and off of what year ex should i be using the ecu from? Also can i use my zc ecu that is red lining at 7500 and rewire vtec to kick in some other way? I already am getting the y8 head with an aem cam gear on it within the next 3 days hopefully so i would appreciate it if someone recommends me the parts that i should use.

Also what timing belt should i be using or can i use the one that i currently have (which is brand new)

Y8 timing belt i know.
You will get more power out of the Y8 head gasket also aka more compression but be sure to maybe step up on octane on your fuel and have it tuned nicely.

Not sure on the Y8 for ECU the P28 is a popular choice for all around but i think the Y8 is OBD2 so you would need to either get a conversion harness if you use the Y8 Engine harness or wire it up yourself. That would activate you Vtec also. I don't like using the RPM switch because you don't get the same fuel maps as the Vtec maps on the vtec ecu's. aka you don't get the power you should out of the engine you built.

Might ask the others im not the best person on ECU's either. I think the Y8 has a OBD2 harness but im not sure. if it's OBD1 your all set pretty much.

Dysturbed

can i use my stock zc ecu and kick in vtec with a switch or something else

whats up man?
I have a sohc zc with a z6 head with i/h/e in my 89 crx si. Awsome improvment over the stock zc. I will never go back. i got the y8 head gasket and the z6 timing belt with the stock dist. with the notches cut out. and for the computer i got a stock ls. With the vtec on a switch.
At first i had a knocking problem then with a little timing and fuel playing i got her running pretty good. I've ran stock ls's and stock preludes and they didnt have a chance. pretty good for a sohc wich everyone frowns on.
soon i'm getting a set of dohc zc pistons and a good cam and see where that takes me.
So stick with the zc and drive it like you stole it. They love to go!!!!!!!!

Do you know if my 90 SI EF HB comes obd 0 or obd1 and if obd0 how can i convert to obd 1 to use the p28 ecu?

OBD 0 for a 90 SI Hatch (if it's USDM it's a ED7 not a EF by the way)

You can buy a conversion harness or you can do the wiring yourself. I don't have wiring diagrams or anything for the ZC to give you but ask around someone might have them.

For a conversion kit go here
http://www.jkobd.com/

He does custom ones for autos and all kinds of stuff.

Dysturbed

Back