Sold my 03 sierra and got a Trailblazer :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah I just looked at the trip meter and I'm at 85ish miles and a little over 1/4 tank is used. I'm gonna look at the oem specs and compare when I fill up. I wouldn't be a man If I didn't at least check the plugs and stuff.

I normally average 17.2-17.3 if I reset the gauge and drive carefully I can get 18.5-18.8
For the most part it's always at 17. What is your mpg listed at? Dash will tell you both instant and average.

Trailblazer should hold 22 gallons. Keep in mind Chevy is known for having big pieces of chit gauges. So who knows if your gauge is ok. On the flip side look at subarus... My subarus first 1/4 of gas is gone within 20 miles or so then it slows way down for the last 3/4 we've talked about that before.

My ex had a blazer with the 4.3 for a little while, I couldn't believe how bad it sucked gas. It's like it had 2 extra fuel injectors just going straight into the air because fuck you. Idk if the 4.2 shares that similarity or not.

The 4.3 is a V6 based on the small block Chevy V8. The 4.2 is a DOHC I6. The two engines have nothing in common, other than the fact that they both burn gasoline. The Trailblazer is just a large body-on-frame SUV with poor aerodynamics and an outdated transmission. You just cannot expect it to get stellar fuel mileage in stock trim.

The 4.3 is just a fucking gas hog. Kind of a torquey motor but not a lot of pep.

I finally burned through almost a full tank and didn't break 300 like my sierra would have. Personally if it gets close to what I got in the truck it's cool. even if it does have a smaller tank.

Once I get off work I'm gonna fill it back up and do the math. Then I'll do a tune up with k&n air filter and see how much it improves. I've already read the most people really see is 16-17 which makes sense since EPA I think was 14. lol

I'm thinking of dropping weight with the spare tire as well. lol.

The 4.3 is a V6 based on the small block Chevy V8. The 4.2 is a DOHC I6. The two engines have nothing in common, other than the fact that they both burn gasoline. The Trailblazer is just a large body-on-frame SUV with poor aerodynamics and an outdated transmission. You just cannot expect it to get stellar fuel mileage in stock trim.
on the flip side it seems much easier to work on than the V6 style.

I plan to replace the valve cover leakage...it's not bad but does leak enough to run.
- plugs for sure (still undecided on brand, I've always uses NGK)
- k&n and try to remove some of the other clutter within in the box.
- finally I'll run a little seafoam to remove whatever carbon build up and call it a day.

An older lady drove it so I know that truck has never seen hard acceleration. I'm not looking to make a miracle happen, I just want to know it's running the best it can with what it has to work with. :)

just filled up. took 16 gallons which was weird. I rode all morning with the E light on. I figured it would be more. anyway, looks like I was getting 15mpgs which was 1mpg less than the dash was saying. so all in all there is room for improvement if jeffie and others can get a few more.

just picked up the valve cover gasket plugs, and TB cleaner. thanks to me being a loyal shopper I got $25 off my purchase. getting me just shy of 50% off. :)

I know they're wildly different motors, I just meant I wasn't sure if they had similar horrible gas mileage.

Back