some advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You're thinking of the v-tec-E motor found in the HX and some of the other over-seas models....it would be OBD2 I believe and wouldn't be lucrative for your situation. I would say a d16z6 would burn MORE gas than a non vtec motor but ONLY while in v-tec. At normall driving RPM's the motors perform identically except the DX motors tend to hold torque in the uper rev's becuase of the the non exsistent v-tec function.....which consumes more fuel. If you want that little extra kick in the pants go d16z6. Allthough, if your car isn't equiped with vtec allready, you will need to wire for it. Either isn't a bad choice, just more work with z6.

All of your other questions about wiring and ecu info you can find in the H.S. FAQ referance.

If you keep the D16 out of the VTEC range you should get sweet gas mileage. I have a del so si (D16z stock with a short ram), I generally drive in the 3000 rpm range, and I get right around 38 mpg. Del Sol is ~ 500 lbs heavier, so you should get even better mileage.

On the other note, if I ever get a pizza smushed up against the side of teh box because you're leadfooting it around the corners, be warned... :D

John

On the other note, if I ever get a pizza smushed up against the side of teh box because you're leadfooting it around the corners, be warned... :D

John
:D:D:D been there once, but I try to be really careful with my deliveries.
usually you don't want to open my 2lters of coke right away.

All of your other questions about wiring and ecu info you can find in the H.S. FAQ referance.

I tried all this in the FAQ and nothing came back
HF
CRX HF
swap
CIVIC CRX
ECU
what else is there anything on that search? it always comes back with SORRY

thanks guys ....every day I read this posts I get more enthusiastic abut getting a DOHC ZC on this thing. next week I'm going to start to get the old engine out. in the mean time I'll be in the market for a ZC.

Your welcome...but I think everone was sayin z6...not ZC. Hey, whatever dude...go for what you know! Want a zc go for it. Let us know when its up and runnin'.

The D16Z6 running on OBD1 electronics will be your best bet for fuel economy and power. The DOHC ZC won't fare as well, and will be harder to get replacement parts for as everyone has mentioned already. The non-OBD electronics also don't manage the engine as tightly, so your mileage won't be as good as it could be.

darn.... I didn't think about that.
the thing that made me decide for the CZ is because is seems to be a simple swap with no extra costs. also, if I decide to build for performance and have some fun, the ZC has lots of potential. I could get a SI transmission and have a nice fun car.
I will be searching for the OBD1 conversion to see if I want that.

Last edited:
I still have time to decide. I will doing it maybe in 2 weeks. I thought it would be the easiest swap, and I found one locally, but I have no rush. I want to explore all my options.

Dude.....ONE MORE TIME... the D16Z6 is going to be easier and has more after market support. Not to mention, its a proven platfrom. First off, and don't take offense to this but, you have to make your mind up! First you said you wanted the easiest swap with the best gas mileage, now you say you may build it in the future, which will more than likely through gas mileage out the window. Once you choose, you should decide which motor you need. If you go z6. You can go from a DD thats easy on petro, all the way to a 350-400HP monster and every where in between. Use your brain on this one.

Dude.....ONE MORE TIME... the D16Z6 is going to be easier and has more after market support. Not to mention, its a proven platfrom. First off, and don't take offense to this but, you have to make your mind up! First you said you wanted the easiest swap with the best gas mileage, now you say you may build it in the future, which will more than likely through gas mileage out the window. Once you choose, you should decide which motor you need. If you go z6. You can go from a DD thats easy on petro, all the way to a 350-400HP monster and every where in between. Use your brain on this one.
thanks man... thats why I posted here, so I could get peoples' opinion and help me makeup my mind. I'm new to Hondas and that's why I'm a little apprehensive I guarantee you I take no offense. I'll be looking into it and read a little more. The problem is I did a search and I found nothing solid about the swap.

You definitly won't find anything solid on the swap becuase it is so straight forward. All you need is the d16z6, p28 ECU ( I think ), maybe part of the engine harness, and to wire for vtec. A re-re could do it in one afternoon. Im just given you hell becuase when you ask us for help, we've got to know which choice your gonna make so we can point you in the right direction. Good luck though on which ever choice you make.

thanks guys... Sorry about being so "shifty" but as I said I wanted to see all my options. I'll keep you updated in how it goes.

I like the idea for a 5th gen dx engine, d15b7. I had one in my car temporarily, and I got it as a complete swap for 100 bucks. The thing only had 100k on it, got me like 45 mpg, and I bet it would be a big jump over a dpfi hf...

yeah, they are a dime a dozen, because no one really wants one for a 5th gen civic. I think it would be a cheap upgrade for your car. And if you decide you want more power, you can always swap on a z6 head.

And you don't have to worry about wiring for vtec until you go to upgrade to the z6 head......
Thanx for the co-sign 99Sidude.:thumbsup:

Back