some comp help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadMaXXX

Mad Man
hey guys i know theres some computers gurus here so i thought id ask a q

i have 2 drives and i recently formated and installed windows xp on my c: drive

everything is cool when im around but if i let it idle too long it restarts and then says failed to boot

i have to turn the comp off and windows starts up again

anyways i have all that power saving crap and hibernation turned off

the c drive did have some bad sectors but like i said it only fucks up when i let it idle too long

any1 know what may be the problem?

If at all possible back up all of your important information and try the install agian. What size is your hard drive? How old is it? Just to simplify things a whole bunch if its a smaller older hard drive use that as a reason to upgrade thats what I do.

If your hard drive is reporting bad sectors, immediately back it up and throw it away. All modern hard drives have a set of "spare" sectors that are automatically mapped in to take the place of bad sectors on the drive. This process is transparent to the user and to the system. If the drive is reporting bad sectors, that means you're out of spares and the drive is in really bad shape- you're in danger of losing your data because the drive is dying. Toss it and get another one.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 1 2005, 04:01 PM
If your hard drive is reporting bad sectors, immediately back it up and throw it away. All modern hard drives have a set of "spare" sectors that are automatically mapped in to take the place of bad sectors on the drive. This process is transparent to the user and to the system. If the drive is reporting bad sectors, that means you're out of spares and the drive is in really bad shape- you're in danger of losing your data because the drive is dying. Toss it and get another one.
[post=467694]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree. Do it before you lose track 0 and with it the entire drive.

since you have 2 drives format the other and install xp on there.. if it reboots there too then it probably is the mother board IDE controller

Back