Some People have wondered what I've been up to

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

Well, since i sold the honda... i've had 2 projects... #1 being the house... But thats for a later date...

My other project is my 1989 Yamaha Blaster... I said to myself, I live in the woods... I need an ATV... So I picked up this puppy for $300...

P1010596.jpg

P1010595.jpg

So we took it to my house, greased up the chain, cleaned out the carb, and got it running...

She's a fun little bike, but tired...
P1010616.jpg

P1010614.jpg

Anybody notice anything wrong with this picture?
P1010617.jpg

My lovely Oil Leak
P1010620.jpg

This left me with 2 choices... #1, fix the oil leak, throw on a new chain and ride it... Or #2, tear it down, and fix it the right way...

I chose #2... So let the teardown begin...

NICE WIRING! Thats all gonna get redone...
P1010625.jpg

Can you tell they rode without brake pads for a while?
P1010627.jpg

P1010628.jpg

P1010629.jpg

P1010635.jpg

Lots of parts!
P1010633.jpg

Prepping the frame for paint...
P1010656.jpg

P1010660.jpg

So in between the prep work, I decided to diagnose my oil leak... I threw the motor up onto the stand, and pulled the tranny cover off..
P1010657.jpg

So I says to myself... "Self..." j/k.. While I'm in here, lets check the gear meshes on the tranny... make sure all is well... Thats when I notice this...
P1010658.jpg

Well hmm... that aint right... Why can I float this gear?
P1010659.jpg

Well apparently THIS IS WHY! Somebody is a moron and stripped the nut on there!!
P1010672.jpg

So I figured... Lets just let that go and try and diagnose the oil leak, and while I'm at it, i'll finish bypassing the oil pump... So I grab the clutch cover and flip it over to remove the gear...

Wait... something's not right...
P1010663.jpg

WTF IS THAT HOLE THERE FOR!!?!? Sure enough, the stripped nut rubbed against the cover and blew a hole in it... So thats where that chunk of metal that fell on my workbench came from... Oh well... JB WELD TIME!
P1010670.jpg

Now onto paint...

P1010667.jpg

P1010647.jpg

P1010649.jpg

I decided to do the rims a little different...
P1010654.jpg

And how it looks right now...
P1010682.jpg

P1010683.jpg

I'll update it as it gets closer... What do you think?

P1010617.jpg

Uh, nope, can you tell me whats wrong...

EDIT - Wiring?

Brian

are you serious? Do you not see the bent control arms? :p

I cant wait to have it running... And then... This winter... if i still have it... I'll just give 3 letters... IHI... :eek:

im gonna buy a quad......

right.....

now.....

I loved the good ol days back in PA. Riding bikes and quads all day. Shit was fun. :)

It's time for me to rebuild something besides a car.

A fast quad :drool:

The frame isn't tweaked... just looks it... I went over that VERY closely...

And for the fast quad comments, I got a buddy who is swapping a YFZ490 motor into his blaster as we speak, and another buddy who is measuring up fitting a warrior 350 into his blaster... :)

As for me..> I'm gonna turbo my bad boy next winter... :) Either that, or keep an eye out for a wrecked CBR or R6... hehehehee.... :)

looks good noah!

yeah, the control arm is definately bent.

we jb welded my suzuki lt230 sidecover tons of times, but it always always leaked eventually. im sure you could just score a new or unbroken cover for cheap.

i mean, you're doing all this other look nice work, may as well NOT have to tear it apart again.

im sure you will make the right choice. :)

P1010617.jpg

please fix, you'll have so many issues, but, hey look awesome so far, i jacked up my old quad lauching in 6 feet into the air, blew the tire and bottomed out the suspesion, had to redo it, besides it wasn't meant to do that, it was just a honda 4x4 650 5 speed, made for hunting :) i couldn't resist

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Apr 15 2005, 03:55 PM
looks good noah!

yeah, the control arm is definately bent.

we jb welded my suzuki lt230 sidecover tons of times, but it always always leaked eventually. im sure you could just score a new or unbroken cover for cheap.

i mean, you're doing all this other look nice work, may as well NOT have to tear it apart again.

im sure you will make the right choice. :)
[post=487586]Quoted post[/post]​

I replaced all 4 control arms with arms off an 01... FREEEBIEEEE!!!

I have scored so much for free for this bike... I have spent INCLUDING shipping, a total of $75, which has gotten me:

front bumper
rear grab bar
all 4 a arms
Rear Brake Cable
Clutch Cable
Brake & Clutch Handles
Stock Bars w/ MSR Handlebar Pad & brand new tag grips
Front Shock Covers
DID X Ring Chain w/ DID 13t front & 41t rear sprocket.
All New Delron A Arm Bushings

I just found the right people... :) All I have left to buy now is rear brakes, front brake shoes, & a swingarm rebuild kit.

I'll eventually replace the clutch cover, but its not a huge deal to me... as long as it doesn't leak... :) The main big deal to me is fixing that nut on the crankshaft threads...

Hell yeah! I just learned how to ride a quad.

I never rode one before, or anything of that sort until last saturday when my buddy got one.

My buddy picked up a wrecked 01 honda 300 2wd with 10 hours on it for $400. Yes the original owner got it, and wrecked it the 2nd day he owned it. My buddy bought another frame for 400 and swapped over the engine. Now we have a bad ass quad we just drive around every day after work. Its a blast. Hell tomorrow, we're supposed to go riding. He uses his brother's honda 450, not sure which model, but an 05, 2wd. It does like 95mph supposedly but I haven't ridden it. My buddy's 300 doe around 55-60 and that's good enough. Espcially doing wheelies through 3rd gear.

i know my old 650 4x4 could about 40, may be fifty, if the gearing is right, yeah you can go pretty fast.

i dunno about that... my buddy has a raptor 660, and the highest he has ever registered on the trailtech is like 69ish... THAT is a scary ride... 4th gear, 20mph, roll into the throttle and it lifts the front wheels like nothing... SCARY TORQUE...

raptors are the shit... i miss my dads warrior though. thats gotta be one of my favorite quads ever.

I loved my old suzuki....till I hit a deer, then I was scared of it for a while, made it rideable again, then I sold it for like 200 bucks.

I treated that thing like it was a raptor or blaster, throwing it off 10ft jumps, climping some crazy hills.

Shit was kinda quick too.

HAHAH, we used to put like 10 ppl on that shit. I rolled it so many times too.

yeah chris... the raptor is nice... SCARES me though... I dont know if i would ever want somethign that big... My next quad will be a warrior... 4 stroke, reverse, & electric start...

Back