Some simple questions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Speed Box

OK I swapped my motor in the car. Everything is cool except.....

#1 My temperature does not go up? Sensor?

#2 How do I get that speedometer cable in the trans?

#3 Car slowly accelerates are civics really that slow? Could it be because I broke one of the bolts on the headers connection to the downpipe and there is less back pressure?

In regards to #3 I broke one header bolt on the block and one bolt from header connection to the downpipe. Its a bit loud also.

Its a stock motor, stock car, D16A6 with Y8 gasket.

Yeah I connected everything, so far no leaks.

In regards to speedometer I tried doing that it don't go in. I'll try in the morning. I remember there is a small clip that connects it.

What about temperature?

Model is a 89 civic Si.

I know exactly which one you're talking about its right under distributor. That plug is a problem it wont go all the way in and now don't want to come out. Its like 1/2 way in.

As far as speedometer I'll push the car backwards and pull that cable in.

I just don't remember car being soooooooo slow before.

OK I think I have a small problem with that temp sensor. My ecu is throwing code 6 (coolant temp) so its the sensor. I attached a ghetto pic of the problem.

Plug is all the way in except there is a small white part, as if its not all the way in. Im pretty sure that plug is in because it wont go any more in.

And as far as a speedo. It wont go in either I rolled the car back like 10 ft and it won't click or nothing.

Attachments

• sensor.JPG
    sensor.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 178
Bro I got everything hooked up. Sensor was dirty I guess, clean both connectors and its good to go. As far as VSS I just got it in as far as it went then went for a ride ( changes parking spots) and it dropped in, put the clip in.

Now ecu is throwing code 5 and 6. Coolant temperature and throttle position. I have no clue. Maybe throttle position is related to tps sensor only when you unplug it check engine light goes on.

Is there someway to find exacly what causes those codes?

there are 3 temp sensors on the engine - the attached picture shows the locations - the red is for the ECU (gives code 6 if bad), the green is for the temp gauge and the blue is the cooling fan switch

Attachments

• cooltempsensors.jpg
    cooltempsensors.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for all replies for real.

Ok I cleared codes I think ( I just disconnected battery ground) now I get no codes my ecu does not even blink at all, should be normal.

Car is still loud maybe time to replace exhaust gasket, its missing 3 bolts + 1 bolt on downpipe snapped.

Thats a cool diagram posted, now I kinda understand what those connections are all about. Fan switch over by the filter I remembered getting intake manifold bracket with harness on the inside just like OEM.

Its really amazing how much engineering went into design of this car. Everything has a place.

you probably need to replace the coolant temperature sensor by the distributor. not clean it. replace it. it's probably bad. it's around $40 from honda if i remember correctly. i had the same problem with my d16a6.

Man that sensor is a problem to get to seriously. I think distributor needs to come out. Its hard to get a good grip with a wrench.

Based on a diagram that was posted above you are talking about a red one?

Also, disconnecting battery clears codes right?

try using a different tool then. i think mine was a bitch too if i remember correctly. just keep workin at it. try some liquid wrench or pb blast or something if it won't go.
yeah, i beleive it's the red one in that pic. it's been a while, and i don't have that engine anymore.
yes, disconnecting the negative for several minutes will do the trick.

I get no codes right now ecu does not blink.

As far as removing that sensor, well its a problem unless you have one of those snap-on high tech whench. Deep socket does not work (sensor in the way). Thanks for the reply, I'm sure there is a ghetto way to rig it.

Thanks for the pointers with distributor. You can also set the motor TDC, mark it etc... etc..... something to keep in mind for future reference.

As far as euros. Any BMW is really nice, hella sporty, although Mercedes is more my cup of tea!:D

actual way to erase code

In the engine fuse compartment on the passenger side...pull out the BACK-UP fuse for 10 seconds...and plug it back in and start engine...CEL(check engine light) should be gone...^_^

Back