Some tunes for the sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

I've got about $250 i'm planning on using to get a decent sterio setup into the del sol. All I need is a deck and 4 6 1/2 speakers. I don't plan on ever installing a amp or subs but i'd like to have a little bump still. Does anyone have any recomendations for a setup? I'd like to stick with all one brand but of coarse I want 2 different sets of speakers. I have no clue what combo would sound best so i'm gonna have to go with what you guys tell me here.

so you recommend using the same speakers front and rear? If I go with pioneer I want a pioneer deck, and vise versa for alpine.
Pioneer and alpine were actualy the 2 brands i was looking at.

i use soundstream in my del sol. my door speakers are oldschool picasso series which i dont think you can buy any more. they kick ass though.

panasonic imo makes the best decks, and i know everyone likes to ride eclipse and alpines dicks, but from personal experience i love panasonic.

i have a c8401u that i got for like 216 from etronics.com has features comparable to a 400+ plus dollar alpine.
3 people i know went and bought panasonic decks after hearing my system.

pioneer speakers sound like shit...

and the rear del sol speaker location sucks. i turned mine off. i dont think E runs a set either.

i just had front kappa's and a 10" sub in the trunk... thats it. plenty.

if you do run rear speakers, check the depth. 90% of off the sheld speakers won't fit in the space they give you...

also, i modified the doors to take a deeper speaker, so as long as the windo doesn't hit it, you're golden :p

yeah i had to put some spacers in my door for mine to fit. my single 10" is a soundstream tarantula. i had the gunboxes taken out and a custom 3 cubic ft box made behind the 2 seats. tuned to 32 hz. the speaker faces the rearview mirror from inbetween the seats and sits just above the center console so its not very high.

im prolly hitting 150 db on the dash, which is redonkilous for a single 10. then again the sub is like 2 ft from the dash and 1k watts running to it doesnt hurt.

i also dont run rear speakers. 60 watts a piece to my doors, which are 3 ways, and 1k to the sub. after setting fades/gain/equalizer then it balances out perfectly. if i was to ever add anything to it id prolly put some component sets in kick panels, but it honestly doesnt need it.

kenwood makes good receivers. thats a nice basic no frills receiver.

their speakers on the other hand, are crap.

and those sony's that are in there, are crap too. i was thinking just like you... get all 4... and then i spent like 100 bucks on those back in the day, and i had 'em hooked up for a week. they just scream right in your ear and totally kills the imaging.

get a good set of fronts and a 10 sub or something. or even a bass tube.... seriously, thats all the sol needs

Let's see. My personal route for 250 buckaroos would be:
Pioneer Rev 6.5
Pioneer shallow mount rears
HU that does mp3 (i dont really care about mp3's, but you cant go much lower)
Total at cardomain (because I've never had a problem and screw buying everything at different stores)
264 shipped

Now B might sway you from pioneer, but I dont know what the problem is with it. I have the Rev's in my doors (amped) and they sound fine. If he could enlighten us as to what brands sound *soooo* much better at the price point, this debate could be much easier to deal with. I know he mentioned infinity kappas, but they neither make a HU or sound balanced (to me :) ). Can't seem to find Panasonic speakers, so I'll rule out the HU's. The other option is Alpine. I cant seem to find everything at one store, but crutchfield has a good price on HU's. The rest of the options are Fosgate/Sony/Jensen and they dont really stack up against either Pioneer or Alpine all around.

I also agree with B and micah, I dont run rear speakers. It's two channel music, and even if its not set up correctly, yo'll still hear spatial cues a lot better than with all four speakers running. (In that case I would tell most people to go Alpine. Get a deck, front speakers and an amp-even 50Wx2 would be fine)

And anyone who says they "prolly hit X amount of Mad DBz", isn't :p But I'm sure you hit a 143-46 :cool:
Also btw, dont waste time/money on 3/4/1000-way speakers. 3 tweeters and a mid isn't really getting you much more than what a single tweeter+mid can do.

Quoted post[/post]]

and those sony's that are in there, are crap too. i was thinking just like you... get all 4... and then i spent like 100 bucks on those back in the day, and i had 'em hooked up for a week. they just scream right in your ear and totally kills the imaging.

get a good set of fronts and a 10 sub or something. or even a bass tube.... seriously, thats all the sol needs

I'll probaly get that kenwood deck. What speakers would you reccomend to go with it if i'm not running rears and I don't want to put anything in the trunk? I don't want any kind of amp either. I'm not huge into music really, but you gotta have somthing for the 2 hour drives too and from college.

pioneers just sound "dead" and "flat" to me, no matter the eq. they are slow. i really don't like 'em. i'm also very anal and my sound though.

i'd run some infiinty reference up front for a nice cheap speaker that sounds good, fits, and can take some power and put out some bass.

Quoted post[/post]]

And anyone who says they "prolly hit X amount of Mad DBz", isn't :p But I'm sure you hit a 143-46 :cool:

lol well, not trying to sound like an audio ricer y0, but i have been around a system or 2 in my lifetime. :wink:

havent been metered cause i dont really care, but it will make you cough and rub your nose like a crack fiend if i adjust it right.
i do keep it set pretty low though, just so it doesnt outbalance my door speakers.

i have 4 - 6.5" Directed Studio line woofers (2 in the doors, 2 in the rear corners), and 2 Directed Studio line 1" tweeters in the doors
s550-s650.jpg

the speakers are kick ass... they use very small neodium magnets so they are able to fit in areas most good 6.5s wont... they are also composit framed (all 4 of the 6.5s i put in weigh about what one of the stockers did... weight reduction y0! )
its all running off a Kicker 75x4 amp
the immaging is perfect... all of the highs are in front and only mid range fill comes from the rear
it has pretty good bass for what it is... music sounds very full... i have no complaints... although i am planning to make fiberglass enclosures behind the speakers to get a little more out of them

if you are going to run anything in the rear corners, use a woofer with no tweeter... as brian said it will fuck the immaging all up

Quoted post[/post]]

I personally think my Kenwood 6.5" and 3/4" tweeters sound great.

i've also ran 5x7, 5 1/4" and 6x9 Pioneers.

Kenwood > Pioneer IMO as far as speakers.

Pioneer > Kenwood as far as receivers. I liked my Pioneer deck a lot better than i like my current Kenwood.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hRiq8ih7k7A/c...Display=Pioneer
you should have gone with this deck, along with the speakers shown here, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hRiq8ih7k7A/c...kipvs=T&g=52000 granted the momo's are much more expensive, but well worth it than the db's, but with the db series you get buy 1 pair get the second pair half off, so you could get the db 6500 up front, and use the db 650's in back, then get a polk momo 12" sub with the momo 500.1 amp... that's the setup i have, except for the deck which i am getting soon. and i'm with B, all other speakers i have heard except for polk and infinity sound like ass, and i sell car stereo equipment.
my 2 cents
Sam

Back