Someone finally got real with a Delorean

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Rotary powered Delorean

Lowered, painted, and equipped with a transplanted 20B twin turbo. Good results.

mycarwet2.jpg

-> Steve

Those are stock Delorean wheels. Turbines were all the rage back then, observed with Vettes to Bricklins.

I'm more curious with how he made the trans work. It's a RWD tunnel trans, that somehow fit in the RR bellhousing.

-> Steve

wow. where exactly did they get that engine from? and where can I get one?

You can commonly get a 20B from Japan / Australia / NZ's Mazda Cosmo. The US used to have triple rotors in their Cosmos (in the 70s) but it's a different beast. Then, custom manifolds are everywhere - and you can even triple turbo a triple rotor.

-> Steve

On a built triple rotor, with high pressure turbos (again, 3) I've seen this second gen convertible top out at 1100 hp. I'm trying like hell to find the webpage, but can't so far.

It was called the RXX-7, and it was completely nuts. The convertible was chosen because the engine was in two coupes, and would break the back hatch, and twist the frame.

Then he got a body kit to fit the huge brake / wheel / tire combo in. Then a front body kit to fit the huge 3-outlet intercooler in. Then made a custom oil box in the rear, that required again a body kit.

So the car was all riced out - but it literally NEEDED all of that body to hold his mods in. And I think that's cool as hell.

That car is a BEAST! i agree with you guys, the engine surely makes up for the hideous looks. Although the front end is not too bad. Also, it claims 300HP at only 3000RPM's? 3-Rotor's can rev to about 9k. I dunno, maybe i'm mistaken.

Originally posted by dveit@Jun 5 2004, 11:53 PM
That car is a BEAST! i agree with you guys, the engine surely makes up for the hideous looks. Although the front end is not too bad. Also, it claims 300HP at only 3000RPM's? 3-Rotor's can rev to about 9k. I dunno, maybe i'm mistaken.

they didn't give an rpm for the hp, the 3000 rpm was for the torque number.

No I don't agree that it looks hideous. I've always loved those cars, even the wheels. I'd take it over my civic if I had the chance.

doesnt one of the mazda race cars use a quad rotary engine? like a 26B or something? i'm probably wrong, but i think that is whats said on 3rotor.com

well, i guess that 3rotor.com doesn't work currently, it worked like 3 days ago.

Back