Someone give this kid a cookie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Little TonyD in the making eh? lol

11-year-old shoots, kills assailant threatening his grandmother

By GWEN O’BRIEN
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND — When Tony D. Murry held a box cutter to Sue Gay’s neck Monday night, Gay’s 11-year-old adopted son ran upstairs at the home at 1348 N. Huey St. and grabbed a gun.

“He hit the bottom of the stairs with the .45 and stood ready stance with the gun,” said Gay with feet spread apart and her hands outstretched as if holding a handgun.

The boy shot one round and hit Murry, 27, in the chest, even though the man was shielding himself with Gay.

“I don’t know how he did that. One shot and he got him. He’s my little hero,” Gay said of the grandson she adopted.

The fifth-grader may not have been just a lucky shot. This is a family that knows guns.

“Before his dad died, they’d go target shooting. He knows they’re not toys and not something to mess with,” Gay said.

Ironically, it was guns that Murry may have come for in the first place.

“Murry demanded all the weapons in the house. Gay’s late husband was a weapons collector and Murry knew of the collection,” said St. Joseph County Prosecutor Chris Toth, who said this was a case of justifiable homicide.

Gay said her daughter, who is the boy’s biological mother and currently in prison, was acquainted with Murry. Murry, or “Casper” as Gay knew him, would come by every couple of months to ask about Gay’s daughter. The two never dated, according to Gay.

“I’m not sure where they met. Probably in South Bend when she was off on one of her drug binges,” Gay said.

In an arrest in November, Murry listed “drug dealer” as his occupation, according to booking records at the St. Joseph County Jail.

“I’m upset because she put us in this position. She didn’t send him (Murry) over here, but he was one of her acquaintances. I’m more mad at him though,” Gay said.

Murry had been inside Gay’s house before Monday night and she trusted him. But this visit was different.

“I know he was drunk. At first he wanted me to buy him booze. Then he wanted me to drive him home. I don’t leave my house after dark,” Gay said.

Gay said Murry had been at the house for about a half an hour. She said she asked him to leave at 8 p.m. because she needed to go to bed. She normally leaves for work at 3 a.m.

“He got irritated and asked for a drink of water. When I was in the kitchen he held the razor knife (box cutter) to my son’s throat and said ‘This is not anything personal,’ ” Gay said.

Then Murry rushed up behind Gay and held the box cutter to her throat, she said.

“He told me, ‘Take me to where the guns are.’ He pushed me through the kitchen and into the front room,” Gay said.

Gay stopped at the love seat, put her left foot on it and pushed back on Murry, she said.

“I pushed up so he couldn’t push me forward any more, and I tried to push his hands down off my neck but he had a tight grip. I called for my son to say ‘call 911,’ ” Gay said.

That’s when the boy appeared with the gun. Murry ducked his head behind Gay’s small frame. Some of his torso was left unshielded.

“I’m looking down the barrel of a gun that’s in an 11-year-old’s hands. I knew that if he pulled that trigger I was going to die,” Gay said.

But Gay was not hit. She said they didn’t immediately know Murry had been shot.

“Casper went for the front door, turned the handle and went out of the house. My son ran to me and set the gun down. I hurried up and locked the door and called 911,” Gay said.

South Bend police found Murry, of 2009 W. Linden Ave., outside the home. He died in the emergency room at Memorial Hospital.

“The young man reasonably believed his mother and himself to be in danger of dying. It was clear to us this was a justifiable homicide,” Toth said.

“He did what he had to do. That’s an unfortunate burden for an 11-year-old to have on him,” he said.

Murry had a criminal history. Between 1993 and 2001 he had several misdemeanor arrests.

Murry had a theft conviction from 1994 and a conviction for attempted theft in 1993, which was treated as a misdemeanor.

Murry had been convicted of unarmed robbery for which he received a four-year prison sentence in 1997.

At the time of his death, Murry was charged in two Class D felony auto theft cases pending in St. Joseph Superior Court. He was scheduled to appear in court Feb. 26 for a possible guilty plea.

Meantime, Gay said after 23 years at 1348 N. Huey St., she is putting the house up for sale and moving with her son out into the county, where her fiance lives.

Gay said the boy is doing well since the shooting.

“He’s proud of himself. He feels bad he took a human life. But he didn’t want to lose me. He lost his dad three years ago to a heart attack,” Gay said.

Tribune Staff Writer Marti Goodlad Heline contributed to this article.

the guy deserved to die. although that kid may have some problems now that he has taken another life. but he shouldn't feel bad.

This entire family looks like it needs to be wiped out. Yeah, I love the idea of kids with guns as much as the next neo-phyte, gun loving, anti-establishment anarchist, slightly deranged and reality-mirrored personality ++O Reagan / Gandhi combo dude - But The guns weren't locked up. Ultimately, these people are all going to jail and the kid is joining the penal system of the great state.

Now, if he's good and comes out of this experience stronger and better as a human - Great. However, looking at the apple tree he fell from that prolly won't happen.

-> Steve

hell be taken into the government and made a ruthless killer

Originally posted by Celerity@Jan 30 2005, 10:51 AM
But The guns weren't locked up.
[post=453366]Quoted post[/post]​

I was wondering about that myself however depending on the state he lives in.......

In Maryland, you have a 7 day waiting period. Also, Any handguns made after 2003 have to have a built in gunlock as with an external gun lock at the time of sale.

In other states you can buy a handgun a go home with it the same day you can also buy them with out internal locks. Maryland you can't buy a mag with over 20bullets however you can buy a 25+mag from another state and bring it into maryland you just can't BUY IT in maryland.

Maryland is a big gun state but some laws are weird just like the beer biz.

20 year old can carry a beer all day long he can keep it with them take it in the office do anything he wants with it other then drink, or open it. After its opened he can still doa nything with it - the drinking thing. but GOD FORBIDS if he opens it.

In an arrest in November, Murry listed “drug dealer” as his occupation, according to booking records at the St. Joseph County Jail.

LMAO

Back