someone PLEASE help me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just call autozone 1st and see if they carry it! This will save you the walk there if they ain't got it!

DEF replace the belt.
you will need an impact gun to get the crank pulley off. it can be done with out it, but my god does it save like 4 hours of work

Alright guys..I got the car up on jackstands and cleaned out the engine bay as best I could. The timing belt BTW is in EXCELLENT condition, I dried off the top part and it looks better than it had before..maybe it liked the oil lol jk But anyways, I didn't see any noticeable leaks, so I filled it with a couple of quarts and let it sit for a while, it still looked good so I started it. hopped out and checked the engine bay, and NO OIL ANYWHERE! One weird thing though, the wheels were spinning (it was still on the jackstands) when the car was in neutral. They were spinning very slowly, but still spinning. What's that about? And any suggestions on where to go from here?

I believe it has something to do with the inertia of the system. The engine is spinning, it's transferring some of that momentum to the tranny, blah blah. Hopefully someone can explain it better than I can. I wouldn't worry about it though. It sounds like you're good to go.

Thanks a lot for replying man, i REALLY appreciate it. One thing though, I didn't change anything on the engine, no seals or gaskets or pumps..I just filled it up today and started it and it didn't gush out like it looked like it had been..you still think it's safe to drive?"

Oh.....didn't realize that. I wouldn't do any driving if I were you. 4 quarts of oil don't just "happen" to fall out of your car. There's definitely a reason it happened. I think you should replace the above-mentioned seal before you start driving. It could have leaked like that after some oil pressure built up and caused the seal to fail, and that's why it's not failing right now.

Alright. Do you think it would be a bad idea to replace the oil filter and let the car sit and idle for a while and build up heat/pressure until I can see where it is leaking from, then immediately shut it down? I don't really see any other way to diagnose the problem..

Well, I'd be afraid that it may not leak while you're watching it. Murphy's Law and all that. I'd tend to believe these guys here about that seal. There's not much else on that side of the engine that can leak. I suppose it could also be the valve cover, if you reattached your valve cover any time in the near past and didn't Hondabond that sucker to the head, that could be leaking as well (which would explain all the oil on the hood). But it sounds like a pretty major leak. Which would lead me to believe that it's a major seal.

=X What's hondabond? The thing is I don't have a lot of tools at my house, so I want to be VERY sure that it is the main seal before I take it to be replaced. I'm pretty sure I can't get the damn crank pulley off myself..

Hondabond = Silicone RTV
It's a putty-like sealant that vulcanizes at low temperatures (RTV: Room Temperature Vulcanize).
You use it for things like when you're reattaching your valve cover to make a good seal against the head. If you just lay the cover on there and tighten the bolts, you may not have a good seal. Honda engines are notorious for leaking oil around the cam seals.

Ok man, I'm gonna head outside. If you have anything else you can post it or PM me, I'll be back in in maybe 2 hrs or so with another update. Thanks for your help.

Well fuck guys. Here's how it went.
Found a compressor and an impact gun and changed the front main seal. Then after about a minute or two of running the engine bogged down HARD, wouldn't rev back up, and started dumping an ENORMOUS amount of pure white smoke from the tailpipe. Didn't shut down, just started throwing tons of smoke. Please help..=[

oh man. sounds like the head gasket just failed. that would prolly be antifreeze/coolant that is burning. its known to be the primary cause of white smoke...so is a blown/warped head gasket.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Oct 30 2002, 01:04 AM
oh man. sounds like the head gasket just failed. that would prolly be antifreeze/coolant that is burning. its known to be the primary cause of white smoke...so is a blown/warped head gasket.

:werd: :withstupid: Damn bro! Does sound like a head gasket! The oil could be leaking from your head gasket by the timing belt and then getting thrown around from the belt! Have fun replacing that shizzy yo. Gotta pull the head off. Do a compression test and see if one of your cylinders compression is way down. Or two possibly! This will definately tell you if your head gasket is blown.

Back