someone talk me out of it!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99sidude

VIP
Well tomorrow I'm gonna finally bite the bullet and order my jrsc for my gsr hatch. I've been wanting to do this ever since I got my 99' si back in the day. I'm getting the high boost kit, which comes with 6, 8, and 10 psi pullies, 440 cc injectors, and hondata s300. I always get jittery and have my doubts when it comes to blowing this kind of money... any words of wisdom out there????:D

I can't talk you out of it. I've wanted to supercharge since Mad Max.

Give me a break, I was justa kid.

I've had my eyes on this beauty for a while.
jrsc_civic_sohc.gif

Just can't seem to come up w/ the cash. ;_;

Yes yes...turbos are better....free horsepower...effeciency...yada yada yada...
You might as well try to explain to an assman why breasts are better.

I'd love to see some pics and hear about your results. Please be kind enough to post 'em!

what are you going to do with the car, driving wise? what are your hp goals?

The car is daily driven, I'm going for something streetable, yet still "fast", and most importantly, reliable. I just like the idea of the jrsc giving the car a flat torque curve so the car will be fun to drive w/o having to run it redline to redline through the gears.

The setup I plan on getting yeilds 250 at the wheels. People with this setup are running mid 12's in a hatch like mine. Thats fine for me, I want any more than that out of a fwd car.

any type of FI is going to reduce reliability. just know what you are getting into. how many miles are on the engine and how much does the jrsc cost?

The engine has 50k miles, and has perfect compression/leakdown. The entire setup is going to cost me $3400. This includes everything. From the kit, to hondata, injectors, a bigger radiator, ext... I know that the car is going to have reduced reliability, but I feel like I have done my homework, and I know I have the tools and mecanical ability. I just know that people have had really good success with the jrsc in terms of longevity when tuned properly.

i say do it then. just make sure you keep the stock parts so you can sell it separately. you wont get much for an eg hatch/gsr/sc compared to what you put in to it.

Money is mailed! No turning back now:eek:. As soon as I get the parts I plan on heavily documenting the build. Can't Wait! I just always get this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I drop alot of cash...

Dude just do it. Get the kit, isn't it like 2400 plus shipping?

edit: ok the high boost kit is like 3500ish for the GSR.

Last edited:
The 3.5k is the only reason I don't already have one installed. That's actually 500 more than I paid for the whole car. I'd have a pretty big lump in my throat after putting a check like that in the mail.

The kit comes w/ radiator? Huh. News to me.
How much psi are you planning on running on a daily basis?

Looking forward to your documentation.
--
I was just looking throught the installation notes from Jackson Racin on the kit for the d16 motor. I didn't find anything about a radiator. I did find this down at the end and thought it was interesting enough to repost.

I also like how they mention that I may be "obsessed with VTEC envy", because "when VTEC and boost come on line together, hang on, it's going to be a wild ride. " How can you argue w/ that marketing scheme?

no, the kit is 3300 from jackson racing. What I meant was that after I bought everything I need, its gonna be 34-3500. The radiator was purchased used from Fibercation here on hondaswap. Its a teg gsr unit.

The kit comes with 6, 8, and 10 lb pullies. It also comes with an ecu that already has hondata s300 installed, with a basemap set to run 10psi on the 440cc injectors that come with the kit.

I went ahead and ordered a 160 degree thermostat and a hondata heatshield gasket along with the kit. I have heard of people gettiing igh intake temps running higher boost with these, so I want to prevent that as much as possible.

JR super charges do about as much for me on a GSR as the Stillen super charger does for the Z/G35

Too much money for not enough power, even if you want low power.

ProCharger Centrifugal Superchargers or Vortech at the very least, then you'll have more options later on when you realize you want more power then you think.

The procharger/vortec sc's are like 4 grand, and they don't include anything decent for engine management. Plus, have you ever looked at the power curve that thoes make? Its all up top. If you look at the dyno graph for the jrsc, its making alot more power/torque in the midrange.
hondatagsrdyno.gif

I noticed that too.

Also, at least when you throw several K's @ Jackson Racing, they send you everything you need for the installation. The centrifigal's I've seen for sale are JUST for the blower. There isn' even a bracket included, let alone piping, belts or pulleys...

Plus, it looks like the JRSC's add on average about 50hp...which is a pretty good jump for a simple bolt on I think. Although, I do wish I could find one for, say, 1/10th the price....

I could have gotten the "stock" kit, which comes with some sort of fmu and uses stock injectors for $2300. Hopefully hondata and the injectors will be worth the extra grand.

i dont think they are worth an extra grand (youre also paying for the extra pullies as part of that grand), but i agree with your decision. daily driven turbo hondas are more trouble than they are worth. A friend has an H22 Accord with JRSC on 10lbs and hes put 50k on it so far.

If i had the cash id have the SC on my s2k, but money is the real problem...

I think if you have the cash and you want the extra power as safely as possible, JRSC is the best choice. Just make sure you actually put the time into tuning right...that will be the ultimate deciding factor in whether or not it will be reliable.

Let us know how it works out.

Seems like you read my mind. The fact that they are so reliable is what attracts them to me. JR calls the high boost kit "bolt on". It comes with the s300 already installed on a honda ecu, with a specific tune loaded onto it. I'm getting a wideband o2 to moniter a/f ratios, but I plan on running the tune they supply until I save up more money.

Back