Something Me and Brutal were disussing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

serrilion

In my own little world!
So the normal DX Trany should have longer Gears than the Ex or JDM VTI trany.... well according to what I have seen, and what is currently in my car. The Ex actually had a taller gear than my DX. As the charts below show a difference in 3rd between them, I don't see 1 for 1st or 2nd. The Dx does 105Mph in 3rd at 7200 RPM's as my new vid proved, im trying to find my old 1... were my ex did 115MPH in 3rd at 7200 RPMs

Man this is messed

Trany Specs

92-95 Civic DX/LX D15B7 3.250 1.762 1.172 0.909 0.702 3.153 coupe/sedan: 4.058
92-95 Civic EX D16Z6 3.250 1.900 1.250 0.909 0.702 3.153 4.250
92-95 JDM Civic VTi 3.250 1.900 1.250 0.909 0.750 3.153 4.250

Last edited:
look at the final drive. it acts a multiplier.

exactly, since the final drive is larger you would reduce your top speed but have more torque. which one were you wanting?

Curently on my D15B I have what was labeled a DX, and it runs alot quicker than the EX when last I checked it shouldn't be, thus IDK what 1 really, seeing how its a DD, but still...DX out beating an EX? i think my trany was mislabel'd lol

it also has to to do with the fact no mater how new every transmission is it is slightly different. One could be Chuck Norris, straight up kicks ass and decimates all like it; while the other one is Perez Hilton, no matter how much he tries he is still nobody and needs to give up.

haha, but my rev limiter is set for 7,200 RPMS and I let it rev out in 3rd... so if its + or - 3mph oh well.... :p cause I highly dough its 10mph off :p, but I guess I got the OMG im awesome DX trany lmao

download this

plug in the gear boxes.

play around.

Last edited:
it also has to to do with the fact no mater how new every transmission is it is slightly different.

Not at all true. They are exactly the same.. Unless there is a problem with the transmission. If you are comparing the same models, they will all be exactly the same. They have the same number of teeth in the gears and the same final drive.. they can't possibly post different numbers unless one is missing a tooth or something.

How accurate are your gauges?

Assuming a ~195/60-14 tire and speedometer calibrated to that, the DX transmission would have the highest 3rd gear at ~102mph at 7200rpm. The only transmission that goes higher is the CX transmission with 134mph at 7200rpm.

yes they are different....they are made the same but like a engine every transmission has its own personality the metals can react different to many variable that effect it it has been proven by the auto indrusty itself, true the difference is less when parts are machine made and assembly line assembled......but it is especially noticeable on cars such as the gtr or Ferrari which are hand assembled

Maybe on an engine but transmissions do not vary especially when it comes to gearing. If they did, you have transmissions binding and breaking like crazy. Engines vary because they are exposed to extreme heat/tolerance changes as well as many small "flaws".

ie: if you you have a 3:1 gearbox, it'll always take 3 turns to output 1 turn.

Many transmissions are hand assembled btw, as so are many engines.

Last edited:
haha after much though, we decided to rip apart my old EX Trany... Turns out the guts of it had been replaced once before with inproper gears, it was a mix match, we don't know how it ran but we know how it broke, I will post pictures when I get a chance... U outta see 3rd... its so worn and yes missing some teeth

haha after much though, we decided to rip apart my old EX Trany... Turns out the guts of it had been replaced once before with inproper gears, it was a mix match, we don't know how it ran but we know how it broke, I will post pictures when I get a chance... U outta see 3rd... its so worn and yes missing some teeth

OMG! pics soon?

Back