1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Mylo

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by George777, Jan 21, 2009.

1. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

Anybody heard of this thing yet? Someone at work told me about it. I guess it's essentially a pocket computer, but with a Skype account you can make calls to others.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1

I can see it's advantages and disadvantages. But as long as there is web service, you could theoretically always have phone service too. Since I primarily text, I could save a ton of money by getting something like this.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Skype allows you to text people? If not, wouldn't you still need an interface to send text from a "computer" to a phone?

3. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

From what I gather, the unit itself is more of the "computer". As long as you have internet service/wifi, you can text people via AIM, Yahoo, etc. In order to make calls to landlines/computers/cell phones, you would need a Skype account and it would go off the same internet service.

I could be wrong on that though. That is why I am asking for people's opinions on it.

From what I gather, it seems similar to the iPod touch on the internet side of things. As long as you have signal/service, you can browse and whatnot.

I guess ultimately what I am trying to find out is if there are enough places that you could get wireless from if you were out and about and opted to use this as a replacement for a cell phone. I have never dealt with Skype, and I never took my iPod touch out with me, so I never really paid much attention to the availability of WiFi. I do know that many places like McDonalds and Starbucks offer WiFi, but other than that, I don't know.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted