Soo i failed emissions...help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, its running rich regardless.. could be a faulty fpr too

you live in indiana get a po box in a county that dosent do emissions and register your car there

If you have tried everything else and still is failing the mechanic that I spoke with to get my car passed had me get a bottle of lucas oil additive. He stated that with any car over 150k in milage to run that because it will help with blowby or bad valve seals that would be causing the high hc levels.

Ive seen it work. Other than the hotrod limits for swaps, there is a set limit for money you can spend to pass, i believe its $2000, if it still doesnt you get a conditional pass, thats how it is here, kinda feel like im rubbing it in. So you should come to Ontario and get it done lol.

the dumbass lady gave me a number to call for tech support lol... yea like some dude on the phone will be able to say why its failing wtf...and $2000?? are you ef'n kidding me? id just buy another hatch that already had passed lol

What tuning program are you using?

A good tuner can make any engine pass an emissions sniffer. My setup passed emissions here in germany, but lemme tell you, it was like driving a riding lawn-mower when it had that tune.

What's the test like? It's a rolling road, but how's the guy driving it? Can you datalog while he/she's driving it on the rolling road? Then you (or someone else) can write a tune to make it pass.

What tuning program are you using?

A good tuner can make any engine pass an emissions sniffer. My setup passed emissions here in germany, but lemme tell you, it was like driving a riding lawn-mower when it had that tune.

What's the test like? It's a rolling road, but how's the guy driving it? Can you datalog while he/she's driving it on the rolling road? Then you (or someone else) can write a tune to make it pass.

no tuning program...just a factory unchipped p28 ecu. the test is on a dyno and has a hose hooked on the exhaust to measure the emission levels. and the WOMAN driving my hatch couldnt drive a manual trans if her life depended on it...gave me goosebumps every time she tried to shift!!

no tuning program...just a factory unchipped p28 ecu. the test is on a dyno and has a hose hooked on the exhaust to measure the emission levels. and the WOMAN driving my hatch couldnt drive a manual trans if her life depended on it...gave me goosebumps every time she tried to shift!!

So, you're using the wrong ECU, and you wonder why you can't get it to pass? Lol.

The person not being able to drive it probably doesn't help you get reproducible results, but with the proper ECU it should pass.

Given that it's shifted at the correct time, and when the clutch is disengaged it doesn't shoot up to 7000342314234123 RPM. If it becomes apparent that they are doing damage to your car by their inability to drive it on the RR, then ask them to find someone who can perform the test with a manual transmission.

Your problem isn't the man or woman or chimpanzee driving your car on the RR, it's the ECU not being correct.

So, you're using the wrong ECU, and you wonder why you can't get it to pass? Lol.

The person not being able to drive it probably doesn't help you get reproducible results, but with the proper ECU it should pass.

Given that it's shifted at the correct time, and when the clutch is disengaged it doesn't shoot up to 7000342314234123 RPM. If it becomes apparent that they are doing damage to your car by their inability to drive it on the RR, then ask them to find someone who can perform the test with a manual transmission.

Your problem isn't the man or woman or chimpanzee driving your car on the RR, it's the ECU not being correct.

you know i thought of that when i did the swap.....but the only real diff between the p08 and the p28 im using is the 4 wire o2 sensor. it cant make that big of a difference can it?

new plugs, wires, retarded igntion timing on the dizzy , went for a long drive on the highway, aaand 4th time is a charm oila!!! it passed!! well under no2 but barely under standard for hc's tho lol.. who cares....whoooooooooooooooooooooo!

Awesome bro good for you. I think i have to do one next year, and in 2 more years it doesnt have to be emission tested thanks to our laws.

Back