Sound alright?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Well, I arrived home yesterday from Iraq, and realized my computer needs an overhaul :)

So I looked at my MoBo, and it's an ancient POS, so a new one is in order. So I have gone through and found this set up to use with my existing minute parts...

2x Kingston Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - OEM

Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A400 TDH"

Also a monitor and some BS mouse and Keyboard, but that is unimportant, the hardware above is what I am concerned about spending the cheedar on. Anything I am missing, or could do better for the price? This set up is coming out to about $820 (not inculding monitor and other crap).

Also, I am drunk for the first time in 8 months :D

I would recommend an nForce 3 board versus the Abit. They might be a bit more in price, but you do get what you pay for.

I'm glad you made it home safe.

Definitely get an Asus, MSI or DFI top line motherboard with an NForce3 Gb250+ chipset at the very least. If you want to run with more expensive pieces, you can look at the new NForce4 chipsets

abit :thumbsdown:

also, i would say to pass on the 64 chip. its more money, and the os can't use it to its potential anyway (assuming you're runnign regular old xp pro)

Well, the Abit scored better in the German mags at least, than the other, when it came to features versus quality. I am stuck somewhere between, but yea, Asus was my first choice. Also it was rated one of the best for overclocking too, so that had my interest.

The reason i am leaning towards the 64 bit, is anticipation of the future. It would suck to get a lesser chip now to save a few bucks, and have to buy a new one later on.

ASUS "K8N-E Deluxe" NVIDIA nForce3 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL sounded ok, but what processor, that can exceed my expectations, without crushing my bank account?

Ok, so make a couple revisons, and I'll look into some modification of the plan.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - OEM

- Specifications -

Model: AMD Athlon 64
Core: Newcastle
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
FSB: Integrated into chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.5V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 754
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)

Model#: ADA3200AEP4AX
Item#: N82E16819103487

That'll work. Socket 754 is cheaper right now, but I would still stick to 939 if you have the cash. With the 939 chipsets, you also have the option for dual channel RAM.

On the 64 bit thing- the 64 bit chips are still faster overall than the 32 bit chips, even for 32 bit applications. They're still the way to go for ultimate speed and overclocking potential. Unreal Tournament 2004 has a 64 bit code base version... :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 9 2005, 09:51 PM
That'll work. Socket 754 is cheaper right now, but I would still stick to 939 if you have the cash. With the 939 chipsets, you also have the option for dual channel RAM.

On the 64 bit thing- the 64 bit chips are still faster overall than the 32 bit chips, even for 32 bit applications. They're still the way to go for ultimate speed and overclocking potential. Unreal Tournament 2004 has a 64 bit code base version... :D :D :D :D :D
[post=471274]Quoted post[/post]​

:) Well, the price between the 64 and 939, and the 754 isn't enough to steer me away, I mean 50-70 bucks isn't too bad a difference, so I think I will try to do this one...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-131-510&depa=1

My goal is to have a PC that is fast for games, apps, and whatever else I decide to do. I don't want to compromise too much :)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 9 2005, 03:01 PM
My goal is to have a PC that is fast for games, apps, and whatever else I decide to do. I don't want to compromise too much :)
[post=471278]Quoted post[/post]​

Well... then get a Socket 939 board with an NForce4 SLI-DR chipset, then get yourself the fastest A64 you can afford- then run at least 2 GB of dual channel RAM. That Asus board is NOT an NForce chipset board- I would stay away from it.

:D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 9 2005, 03:23 PM
abit :thumbsdown:

also, i would say to pass on the 64 chip. its more money, and the os can't use it to its potential anyway (assuming you're runnign regular old xp pro)
[post=471263]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, he can always try his hand at Linux. Once my bud's new system comes in, I'll get to see it run on an A64 firsthand.

Sure, XP will have a 64 bit version soon, but seeing how long it took them to sever Windows' 16 bit ties, how long will it take to move to full 64 bit?

Yeah yeah I'm a "zealot", but I firmly believe that Linux will rule the 64 bit world.

Well, I was going to experiment with Linux, but I sold my laptop before I came home. I can't make my PC a Linux machine because my wife would choke me.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 9 2005, 04:52 PM
Well, I was going to experiment with Linux, but I sold my laptop before I came home. I can't make my PC a Linux machine because my wife would choke me.
[post=471309]Quoted post[/post]​

Dual boot it. You can allocate a few gigs to a Linux partition (and swap partition). Just have it default to boot Windows and she won't know the difference.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 9 2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-127-197&depa=1

How about this one? 939 nVidia chipset, and a lot less than the Asus.
[post=471315]Quoted post[/post]​

That wouldn't be bad either- but honestly, I would stay away from the current Abit boards. The guy who did all the fancy design work and made Abit famous 5 years ago moved to DFI- that's why DFI is at the top of the overclocker motherboard world right now and not Abit. Spend the extra $20 and get a DFI or Asus.

If you're planning to overclock, get the DFI Socket 939 Ultra. Its around 150 bucks and its friggin stable. You can get the SLi version, but thats going to hurt you're wallet. Then get an AMD 3000+ Winchester Socket 939 paired with Corsair Value Select RAM PC3200, $110 for 1GB 2x512. This set up will cost you around $420 USD. Run a memory divider and pair it with a good PSU and you got urself a killer system. People have gotten speeds up to 2.3ghz with nearly stock voltage, which is around the FX series which cost $800+. If you're not into overclocking, the 3500+ is also a great choice. Make sure its the Winchester core. Again people have gotten some solid results with this processor and have gotten 2.4ghz with stock voltage.
For the video card, i say stick with PCI-e. If though there isnt a big difference between agp, the pci-e are usually 20-30 cheaper and it seems like most of the new advanced cards are going to PCI-E only.

Well I got the system running :)

Wound up with...

Asus A8N-SLI nForce dual PC3200
1024MB MDT PC-400 CL2.5 2x512-400-SS
G256P Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
400W power supply, stuff in a Hama box.

All I can say is wow. This thing blows away several friends systems costing 2 or 3 x as much. Doom 3 rocks the box, and Half-life 2 is coming soon, as well as Windows 64 to make it all good and fast.

Back