sound check for exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

so the other day i got a ticket for my exhaust and i wanted to know how they check how loud it is? do they pop the hoood and hook up the RPM thing to the sparkplug wire to find out what rpm you are at at one desiple? or do they just rev it and if the loudest it is is under the limit it passes? someone please explain

thanks!!

Chances are they had a db reader most countys in maryland have their own little laws on how loud a car can be for say anything under 40db is ok "btw I pulled that # out my ass"

but there is ways to use a reader it has a needle and looks like a voltage reader but measures sound

How loud is your exhaust?

Sounds like a bullshit ticket to me. Look up the rules in your State. More specifically, look on your state's website and look up the exact code for the infraction you are accused of. If you don't use their words against them, you will always lose.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Cops lie, make up codes, use the wrong code to give you a ticket, or misinterpret the meaning of a code. Hopefully something in the wording of your infraction will help you.

no he didnt even check how loud it was, my car wasnt even running he just saw that i had a muffler and he gave me a ticket and said i had to go to the ref. i am wondering how the ref will test it because i have a swap and i dont want him to see the engine.

oh, We don't have that here. I'd put on a cheap quiet muffler before going. I bet they check the sound in the rear. I don't know if they'll look over your whole car or not.

Originally posted by tab@May 29 2004, 09:19 PM
oh, We don't have that here. I'd put on a cheap quiet muffler before going. I bet they check the sound in the rear. I don't know if they'll look over your whole car or not.

I put money on it that you have sound laws in your state cops just never uphold the law just like in most states you CANNOT mod a car

Maryland is one of them states but no one bothers to push the law

Tab Im guessing you were pulled over if thats the case you had to be driving if you were driving I bet he could hear your car and it was louder then stock therefor you got a ticket for a loud exhuast he might have had a DB reader going in the car for all you know

if you feel that he had no way of testing the sound levels just take it to court and it would be an easy win

however I bet he had some way of tracking how loud it was

I know some PG county cops track it =)

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 29 2004, 09:48 PM

I put money on it that you have sound laws in your state cops just never uphold the law just like in most states you CANNOT mod a car

Yes, I've been pulled over for it here. But they don't mess with you about it, because the rules are not enforced. In fact, if you have a solid exhaust system, even if it's really loud, you will not get a ticket. Just like emissions testing. If I lived closer to a large city, then might have to worry about it, but the rules are not State wide. A City Ordinance is another deal altogether.

My main point is that they must list the infraction commited. You have the right to look it up. Do so.

plead not guilty and tell the events as they happened to the judge. The officer has not evidence of your car being loud, such as db test, or audio. He can suck it.

Here in So Cal the cops are always pulling people over left and right for their exhaust, more so in Ontario than other cities, but it's easy to get out of the tickets, I do everytime.

I've even gotten out of going to the state ref. I just went to local smog test only center, it passed (I knew it was going to, so I don't know why the cop tried to send me to get it smogged in the first place) anyway I peeled the smog ref sticker off the ticket and put it on my wallet, went and got the ticket signed off by the CHP and went to court paid $10 for a ticket that was for: modified air intake, exhaust and no front license plate.

Damn, I live in So. Cal. too, and that is all I needed to do? Shit, I need to stop putting my stock exhaust back on to pass smog. Would I still pass with bolt-ons? I know the muffler shop that I go to, the guy was telling me that any modified exhaust is illegal, so I might have to keep putting the stock exhaust back on anyway.

If you have to get reff'ed they'll use a decibel meter. You can buy them at Radio shack, they are useful for other things, like setting up home theaters, but fighting bullshit noise pollution tickets is a great way to justify spending the money.

Originally posted by driverunknown@May 30 2004, 02:44 AM
plead not guilty and tell the events as they happened to the judge. The officer has not evidence of your car being loud, such as db test, or audio. He can suck it.

In the state of maryland where you cannot mod a car from factory specs "once again not pushed by cops" if you go to court and tell the judge Im not guilty and he asked you a simple question of "do you have a aftermarket exhaust system on your car?" if the law states that you cannot modify past factory specs and he wants to uphold the law being that he's a judge YOU WILL NOT WIN

Heres how it works Chances are you were fucking around doing something that cought his attention "I've done this MANY TIMES" anyways he pulls you over but has no real dirt on giving you a ticket for the crap you were just doing let it be speeding or maybe flashing some one after a race

anyways he has you pulled over and has nothing on you so what does he do? he looks for something to pin on you in your case you had an aftermarket exhaust welp there you go heres a ticket

I've been pulled over for doing some pretty bad stuff =) many times and to this day I have ZERO speeding tickets just a bunch of BS ones like tail lights, front tag, tint,

I've had cops pull U turns after seeing me use my flashers to say I won a race pull me over and um well um you um hmmmm heres a ticket for um no front tag! ya ya thats it

I enjoy getting them "50 bucks zero points" VS 1-2-3 points and a 250 dollar fine

Bottom line do you want to spend a day off work to go to court to maybe knock a cheap zero point ticket off? then have to pay the court fee? or would you rather pay the ticket and be done with it?

I see no point in fighting this if you lived in maryland it would have been a 50.00 ticket if I took it to court and WON I would still have to pay $35 for the court fee
and lose a day of work over it

great so I would save 15 bucks but lose 200 bucks by not working for the day

Back