Sound damping material

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I want to get some decent sound damping material, but I don't think that dynamat is all it's cracked up to be especially for that price

I'm thinking of either getting brown bread or Fat Mat
both can be found on ebay for a much better price than DM

70sqft of brown bread would be $155
100sqft of fat mat would be $120

any body have experience with either of these or have thoughts on the whole concept of sound deadening?

thanks

all that they are, are roofing tar mat found at a hardware store for 1/4 the price i sild the shit on ebay for big cash till i felt guilty and quite.

get lighting audion liquid damener it the best and cheapest you spray it on so the install is a hell of alot easyier

yeah, I know about the whole roofing tar paper thing and I know enough not to pay squat for that stuff nor do I want to buy it for cheap for my car because it smells like tar.....

this is one reason I wanted to go with one of those two companies because I believe that both of them claim their products have no smell

can anyone confirm this?

i bought the fatmat and covered my civic in it, as well as filled the quarters and such with expanding foam. as is with the dynamat, it smells, but not as long as the dynamat did. it actually stuck better to the metal than dynamat did as well. make a sizeable difference.

good to know
how long did it take for the smell to go away?

how many square feet did it take you to cover the car?
floor,doors,trunk(hatch whatever)

thanks

the best way to go is to strip your interior and go to someone who does sprayin bed liners and have them spray it. Its a little more expensive but by far the best way to go

i paid 130 shipped for 70sq feet. came with a knife and a roller. i used ~45 sq feet to do up my car. i think both rolls together weigh 30lbs, so its not too big of a weight gain.

Here is some newb advice. I have installed systems for 13 years.

1) Buy a bottle of rubbing alchohol and wipe down all panels to be deadened.

2) Buy an adequate amount of quality carpet padding and some good spray adhesive(3m).

3) Cut and paste (well glue).

This really works good especially if cost is an issue. Minimal smell and no heat gun! I would recomend using dynomat or equivalent for the trunk area (trunk lid and spare tire bay). The side panels can use the carpet padding. There is not going to be enough vibration in the cabin for heavy asphalt matting, so the carpet padding will suffice for quiteness. The only road noise I have is from the lack of a catalytic converter. :D Dynomat offers a trunk kit that will do you good for about $75. Total cost would be around $100. I hope this helps.

take out your back seat, add four ported 12" kicker solo-baric L7's facing foward, two autotek stealth 1500's, two yellow tops, two caps= 155.9dbs in a prelude, no mats/foam, no rattle. SIK

Fat Mat gets my vote, my hatch does not rattle, but my old jetta did, and Fat Mat took care of it, and the smell was not super strong and did not last more than a week.

Originally posted by 2b's@Sep 24 2003, 03:36 AM

2) Buy an adequate amount of quality carpet padding and some good spray adhesive(3m).

This really works good especially if cost is an issue. Minimal smell and no heat gun! I would recomend using dynomat or equivalent for the trunk area (trunk lid and spare tire bay). The side panels can use the carpet padding. There is not going to be enough vibration in the cabin for heavy asphalt matting, so the carpet padding will suffice for quiteness. The only road noise I have is from the lack of a catalytic converter. :D Dynomat offers a trunk kit that will do you good for about $75. Total cost would be around $100. I hope this helps.

DO NOT use this unless you want your car to rot out from underneath and around you. If you use Carpet padding, insulation or anything like that ,IF it gets wet, it will stay wet for an extended period of time (it CAN get damp with humidity and when the temprature drops, it can get very wet) it will rot out your body panels......

Originally posted by quicksi+Oct 3 2003, 06:04 PM-->
@Sep 24 2003, 03:36 AM

DO NOT use this unless you want your car to rot out from underneath and around you. If you use Carpet padding, insulation or anything like that ,IF it gets wet, it will stay wet for an extended period of time (it CAN get damp with humidity and when the temprature drops, it can get very wet) it will rot out your body panels......

You just made my left eye explode! I guess then that the oem carpeting and seats will rot as well. Unless you hose out your car this will NOT happen. It's behind the plastic panels and will not get wet!!!

Im not feeling well, must lay down.

Originally posted by 2b's@Oct 5 2003, 02:25 PM
You just made my left eye explode!

wtf??

the padding gets my vote as well, but much alike quicksi... trunk areas or even as my mirage just recently demonstrated, window leaks can lead to foam wetness. (did that sound dirty?) i used a hair dryer to dry out the carpet best i could after i pulled it up to make sure nothing was going to rot. :D

The best deadening material would have to be the spray in type, but if you are looking for something cheaper than Dynamat, try searching for V-Block. We use it at the stereo shop I used to work for. It does pretty good at stopping some of those annoying rattles!

housing insulation that they use in the walls of houses when they're being built works really good. Get about a 4ft. roll at Lowes or Home Depot for about $5. That's what I have in my rear deck panel around my 6x9s and in my door panels. Works really good.

Try Silencer... you can buy it from Circuit City. Basically, it does the same thing dynamat does exept in a different way. Dynamat stops vibrations by filing the space with a lot of material. Silencer works in a different way. Instead of packing it with a lot of material, it catches the sound waves and converts them into heat. This is nice because 1) it stops vibrations 2) it's MUCH lighter... just a thought. I got some for my ride and it works well. to think, it only weighs down my car by 10 pounds :lol:

for one layer... depending on the power of your subs you may need 2 layers, some people like 1 layer of extreme and 2 layers of original... :unsure:

Back