sound deadening material on my crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spdr

There are black patches under the carpet on my CRX and im assuming this is a sound deadener... I saw a thread on here before discussing how to get it off but I can't seem to find it does anyone have any idea how to do it?

you can freeze it using dry ice (solid Carbon dioxide). this will make it very hard and you can chizzle it off. ive also heard of one guy using liquid nitrogen (dont ask how he got it, i have no clue) but he apparently had great success with it since LN is so cold that the tar freezes so fast and contracts so fast and he said that it bassically cracked and broke it self off.

caution, be extremely careful when handling either of these chemicals, they are both extremly cold, and can be hazardous if you are careless with it.

dry ice is somewhere around -150F and LN is somewhere around -300F i believe.

ok here goes

remove the seats and carpet from the car so you can see all of the sound deadening tar now you are ready to start

there are 2 basic methods of removing the sound deadening tar from your car
1 is heat
2 is cold

1- heat generally leaves a messy residue all over the flooring ( i didnt do it this way do im not too much help here)
but here goes
using a heat gun (or hair dryer {much slower}) and a 1-2" putty knife or a wide flat screwdriver heat the tar up so it is pliable and pry it up with the putty knife keep doing this untill its all gone

2- cold is a little more expensive but generally leaves everything much cleaner (this is the method i used)
it helps to not do this on a 90*+ day like i did
get some dry ice from a local supplier (check the yellow pages) i got 30lbs (about $35 worth) i had lots left over but i only had the 2 seats in the del sol four seat cars will probly use all 40 lbs

******WEAR GLOVES****** A block of dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees F (-78.5 degrees C) this will pretty much fuck you up if you touch it.... so dont.... also its CO2 and as it "melts" it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas.... use it in a decently ventalated area.... and take frequent breaks to BREATH

lay the dry ice on the tar for several minutes (at least 10) i found covering the largest area i could then removing small areas at a time worked best... this keeps everything cold just move the ice as you go
using a chissel or large flat screwdriver chip at the tar and large chunks of it should come away nice and cleany with little or no residue left on the floor... repeat till your done

heres the liquid nitrogen method

Originally posted by Sed8ed@Apr 26 2003, 02:32 PM
I ended up using the "cold" method too except I used liquid nitrogen (CAUTION: extremely cold, -190 degrees celsius), the tar actually constrict and shatters off the metal leaving little work for you to do. Other friends of mine have used solvents to remove the tar but if you do this WEAR A MASK! and work in a well ventilated area.

i dont know if its liquid nitrogen, but i work for a used car dealership and recon the cars, and we use some freeze stuff that comes in a metal bottle about half the size of a spray paint can. if there's gum in the carpet or something, we just freeze it with this stuff and chip it off. it looks like you could purchase it a normal store and it might work.

that wont work... i know the shit you are talking about ive seen and used it before... theres no where neer enough in that bottle to do much of anything... and buying enough of it to do all of the sound deadening would cost a stupid ammount of money

Originally posted by Underage@Mar 29 2004, 04:47 PM
i dont know if its liquid nitrogen, but i work for a used car dealership and recon the cars, and we use some freeze stuff that comes in a metal bottle about half the size of a spray paint can. if there's gum in the carpet or something, we just freeze it with this stuff and chip it off. it looks like you could purchase it a normal store and it might work.

It's basically refrigerant (R-134a) in a spray can. It's under pressure in the can so it's in liquid form, but when you spray it out and it boils away on the target surface, it takes tons of heat with it. It's kinda like using the surface you're spraying as an air conditioner evaporator... cools it quite a bit.

:)

Back