South Carolina?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
So how is it? Charleston area to be exact.

Got a loose job offer for double my salory, plus moving expenses paid. Id need to find a decent 2 bedroom place to rent in a good area. What kinda living costs would I be lookin at? How are the schools over there?

Basically, I dont wanna start the process if its a shit hole. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

i would so live in charleston.
if you are at all into history, it has plenty of it.

dont know much about the area though. so cant be of any help.

where do you live now? The south is a whole different world. i had a friend who lived in CT until she was 20, moved to North Carolina developed the southern accent and southern hospitality and mentality.

Is double your salary worth it? I mean is it like going from 30k a year to 60k a year? or like 60 to 120k a year and is this a career or a job? is it worth moving for and do you plan on staying in this field if you move? Do you have family or kids? Would you want to raise them in South Carolina?

This is a good reference for you.....i would compare it with your own states statistics
South Carolina SC - Statistics, Statistical Reports

Don't know the exact area really well, but have been to s. Carolina many times. Its nice, I would consider living there for double my salary, and I'm a Florida boy through and through. Its hot and humid in the summer anywhere you go in the south.

Congrats.

I believe living expenses should be close to or lower than you live now. That should also factor into your decision. I know a lot companies are opening up shop there because the living costs are lower.

also, its not just humid down there, or in the south in general.
its plain fucking hot. and humid.

plan on 100+ degrees and over 90% humidity. lol.
there is no relief other than going inside. shade helps none. lol.

Lmao, Im second guessing the heat now.

And yes it would be a career. The offer is in the same field Im in now, just a different position.

I do have family here. In fact all of my family is in the NW. I have one child now, but he hasnt started school yet, which would make now a good time to move.

So far housing looks cheaper, but I dont know the areas like I do where Im at now.

Thanks for the link 78, Ill be doin some more research now.

Last edited:
Also, yes the extra salary is worth it. Id goin from ~36k a year (thats after workin a ton of OT) to 70+ a year.

And I do plan to stay in my field Im in now because its what I know and good at it.

sounds like a good oppurtunity to really jump start your life if you can deal with the heat!

If you're close to your family now it sucks moving across the country. Have to make all new friends, find new favorite places to go, etc. Your kid won't be able to see his relatives very often. There are lots of plusses but some minuses too.

Pretty much everywhere I have been in the U.S. pales in comparison to just how beautiful it is up here in the NW. It might rain, but it sure is pretty up here.

this will not be optional
goldbondbodypowder.jpg

and keep some of this on hand for the really rough days
220.jpg

your balls will thank me

Right now, family is the draw back. I guess it all comes down to their reaction when I let them know Im applying for the spot.

my aunt lives in summerville,which is 30 minutes away,ive spent some time there and i like it.id say go for it.

Well, I still have to go through the interview process and second interview would mean flying out and seeing the facility. So, Im gunna give it a shot.

Charleston is great depending in where you live, it's just like any other city. And the gold bond for the nutsack, highly recommended. Don't go to work in the summer without it. No emissions either

The old lady was lookin at houses in the area last night, and she fell in love. I really like the "typical" home in that area too. And the prices were right too.

Lol, I already got me some regular strength Gold Bond, might hafta step it up tho.

Im gunna send my info in, but who knows. I might not get the spot. Basically, it was offered to a friend who is already in the company but he couldnt take it. The person that offered him the spot then asked him to find someone who could take it. Thats me. Im sure gunna try to get it.

Back