SP2 rundown

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdlax1

If you use a hacked serial, it is my understanding that you will need to enter a valid serial after doing this update so be careful, but i cant confirm this.

Here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242 this is microsoft's complete list of programs that SP2 cause's "GLITCH's" in.

For the developer crew out there here's a few i needed to know so you might to as well.

Visual Studio .NET blocked out by SP2 by default to Remote Debugging
SQL 2000a blocked out by SP2 by default to Remote Debugging
CUTEFTP Goofy trying to ftp in via port 21
Symantec Corp. AntiVirus 9.0 Updating virus deff. blocked out by default
ColdFusion MX Server 6 F'ed up remoting in to a webserver

Then "programs that may behave differently" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

Photoshop Elements
Nero 6 Ultra
Nero Burning Rom
AOL (no suprise there)
MSN (no suprise again)
ICQ Pro
Quicken 2003/Deluxe 2001
Kazaa
Mcaffe Parental Control
Macafee Internet security suite 2004
Mcaffe VirusScan
Excel
Office
Office Access 2002
Office XP Professional Excel 10.0 SP2
Office XP SP2 - PowerPoint
Outlook 2000
Outlook 2002
Outlook Web Access
SQL 2000a 2000a SP3
Visual Basic
Visual C++ (16-bit)
Visual Studio 7
Visual Studio 97
Visual Studio .NET Enterprise 2003
Visual Studio 98
Norton Antivirus 2003
Norton Systemworks 2003c
Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional Edition 2003c
Norton Systemworks 2004
PCAnywhere 11
Smantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
Yahoo
Yahoo instant Messenger
Yahoo Messenger

Unreal II
Unreal Tourn 2003
Warcraft III
StarCraft
DivxPlayer
NFS hot pursuit
NBA LIVE 2000
Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
Tribes 2 (every play that? if not go get it fun game bargin now at 10 bucks)

Ok sorry about that... i only pulled out the programs i thought might be realitive. Now for the list microsoft has said the SP2 has fixed.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;811113 there's a ton here so im only gonna pull the most relivant top 5.

1) Removable storage recognizes the tape drive, but it does not recognize any media in the drive
2) 100 percent CPU usage may occur under some battery conditions
3) Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM
4) The "ipconfig" command does not return connection-specific DNS suffixes for Windows XP
5) Cannot Disable the Registry Repair and Recovery Feature in Windows XP SP1
6) You Do Not Receive a Message That Was Sent by Using the net send Command
7) Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) When It Writes Encrypted Data to an NTFS Partition
8) MS03-026: Buffer Overrun in RPC May Allow Code Execution
9) MS03-039: A buffer overrun in RPCSS could allow an attacker to run malicious programs
10) Your Windows XP-based computer does not resume from standby when you move your USB mouse or press a key on your USB keyboard

Cliffs, make sure you know what your doing or what complications may arise when doing your update to SP2. So of the security fixes that it does cover is pretty conclusive but never the less, weigh your pros and con's before upgrading.

Everyone has been bitching that windows is too open. Now I predict that (close to) the same crowd of people is going to complain that nothing works because MS has finally locked it down.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Aug 17 2004, 09:44 AM
Everyone has been bitching that windows is too open. Now I predict that (close to) the same crowd of people is going to complain that nothing works because MS has finally locked it down.
[post=377946]Quoted post[/post]​

You shouldn't have to "lock everything down" to the point of making the computer half useless to protect it. Hell I could "lock down" my system by pulling the ethernet cable, but that would be pointless. I've got all the needed services running on my computers and I don't fear any viruses or attacks.

I'm glad that they're at least addressing some of the problems.

That is true, but I think that many of the programs that will stop working will be because they were written for Windows when any program had essentially a free pass to go where it wanted.

I find it funny that in order to make their shit run right and secure it, they lose compatibility with a LOT of very mainstream software... lol

i actually isntalled sp2 last week at home... and i've had no problems. i kinda like the secuirty center.

Just disable the firewall and popup blocker, then use SP2 for its architectural fixes only. Run your own hardware firewall and a popup killer and everything will work great.

can anyone verify my first sentence lol um.. cough cough... id' a like to know that.. for um.. research purposes

Same here. And I don't know anyone who wants to fuck themselves by installing sp2 and not being able to use their comp anymore.

no comments on whether my version is legit but i installed sp2 last week with no problems.

oh i think if you have an invalid cdkey it wont even install onto the computer, i know it did this for sp1.

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 17 2004, 11:38 AM
Just disable the firewall and popup blocker, then use SP2 for its architectural fixes only. Run your own hardware firewall and a popup killer and everything will work great.
[post=378023]Quoted post[/post]​

done and done.

as for compatibility, Halo won't work anymore =( but UT2K4 and Far Cry are running better than ever.

and I can cofirm: 3) Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM

as for the cd key theory, i know you couldn't even download SP1 w/o a legit key. so my key must be legit. and i haven't had a problem with SP2.

prowler- that DL was only if you went through windows update. You can DL it standalone from the MS website, and it won't stop you, as its just an EXE file

hmmm found a problem...in mozilla sometimes the pages dont load, you have to keep clicking on the link till it loads, same with typing in the address of a site.

You sure that isn't a mozilla problem? I had the same problem with Mozilla on Solaris a couple months ago.

nope mozilla wasnt doing this before sp2, and ive had mozilla installed ever since i reinstalled windows which was like 4 months ago.

try re-installign mozilla on top of sp2.

last night, my comptuer locked up. the monitor was off (orange light in standby mode), the lights for the power button/HDD was on, but the machine was dead off. no fans, no noise, nothing.

wtf?

hedl power button for 5 secs, shut off as expextec- well, the lights anyway, turned it back on, came up normally.

never did that before...

what was i running last night...

AIM...
my alarm clock software (the Screaming Banshee! :) )
luckily, i woke up. lol i still set a regular clock radio- probalem is half the time i just don't hear the thing...

anyway, yeah, SP2 sucks :)

hehe

maybe making the move to linspire shortly....

on a new hard drive.

figure, i'll keep this drive for windows, and photoshop.
get another hdd to run linspire on, and if i need graphics programs, simlpy swap the drives...

Back