Speaker choices???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Ok i have a 95 civic hatch and riding in my buddies maxima for a roadtrip to IUP in pennsylvania, i realize i need some subs :D ... my car is in no way shape or form fast nore do i want it to be. It takes to much money and time to do it right and i really just like my stock car. I have a kenwood 50x4 kdc4022a headunit and i have 6 1/2s in the front and rear and they are the pioneer 3 ways. My setup sounds decent but i would like a little bass to it. My question is what is a good setup to have for a little more bass? As in like what amp? What sub (or subs) should i get? And what type of box i should use. I have around 700 to spend on it but if i need to spend more i have it covered B) . I guess just let me know and give me some suggestions to help steer me in the right direction. I would like to use 10 inch subs and i would prefer one but i dont mind having two. And by no means do i want a bass factory or something to rumble car windows i dont wanna be an attention whore and get it stolen. Thanks for the input.

Well if you have cash I would do JL. I love there sound hmmmm the cleaness. There I lots of decent options. What kind of music do you listen to. If you like mostly just techno and rock stay with your 10'' ; if you listen to a broader rang of music go with a 12. Kenwood make inexpensive subs; I have two (one in each car) and I really like them plus I only have 300 watts to it and it sounds great. Infinity, rockford fosgate, mtx, **kicker** are some others.

PS if you decide to go 12'' I have 2 kenwood for sale 15+shipping each.
I liked the sub so much I had four in my truck :)

I might do one of the kenwoods do you have any pics of them? And anyone else have anyother suggestions??? I just want a quality non over powering system. I listen to alot of music so the more bass the better.

I like audiobahn's personally. I had a MTX that thumeped so hard my bod started falling apart!

If you want a great sub that sounds beautiful and pounds real nice look into RE(resonant Engineering) subs. They could be considered an underground brand, but they kick some serious ass. check out sounddomain.com's sub forums for people talking about them.
Here's their website click me

I had 4 kenwood subs in my 1997 dodge ram 1500. I took out the rear seat and laid 4 12'' kfc across it. They were powered with 1600 watts of rms goodness. I miss the sound but not the truck (lousy dodge and the tranny blowing up)

Lets talk i will buy one of them i think that will be enough for my little hatchback. I am on aim as youknowwhoibee or pm me and ill get you my phone number.

You Crazy Americans!!!!

Drop the Kenwood box, and step away.......Don't look back.

No offence to anyone who owns Kenwood gear, but Kenwood is, and always will be a discount brand. Kenwood has some decent head units, but that is as far as I'll go. The reason so many people have Kenwood gear is because of the price point, but if one is serious about a good sounding sub setup, it should be the last brand on your list. Once again, no offence.

I have been through a gazillion diffrent sub+amp combos in my past 3 cars. In my experiences, the following brands of 10" woofers have performed very well:
1) ***Eclipse - any 10" woofer.
2) **Rockford Fosgate - Power or Punch HX2 10"
3) *Kicker - Solo Baric 10" or Impulse 10"

Other good brands that I havent owned, but have heard:
1) JL Audio
2) Alpine
3) Infinity (I find them to be way too expensive for the performance)

Since you're not looking for high SPL, I would suggest two tens to be optimal for your car. Why two? Well, if you're not looking for high SPL, then you go for clarity. If you have two woofers in your car, then pair them with a two-channel amp, then you can run your subs in stereo. A sealed box would be best for this application (ported box will move too much air, and a bandpass is just out of the question). A sealed box will give you tight, clean bass. The other two kinds of boxes are ment for SPL.

In terms of an amp, for you application, somewhere around the 400 Watt RMS rating @4ohms should be good. If you can send 200watts to each speaker than you should be where you want to be. Make sure when you get your subs and amp that you keep it at 4ohms, meaning your subs should be 4ohm subs, and your amp's rating of 400watts RMS is measured at 4ohms, not at 2ohms like alot of them are. Pay carefull attention to this when you're out buying gear. If you were to run a 2ohm setup, you would be making much more sound, but 1) you said you weren't looking for a bass monster, and 2) a 2ohm setup is usually pretty powerfull, so you're looking at caps and other power boosting and saving tools which cost money. Look for a class "A" amp if you can, you have no use for a class "D".
For the amp, I have had great experiences with the following brands:
1) Rockford Fosgate
2) Phoenix Gold (XS 2500 is a great one, good price point)
3) JL Audio
4) Kicker

If you have any more questions, I have been in car audio for about ten years, doing custom installs for five, and have helped put together endless systems for people just like you. Post or PM me.

Also keep in mind that just like a modified car, an audio system needs to be properly tuned. Refer to my post in this article which discusses the EQ spectrum and proper use of Filters.

Filters and spectrums.

Cheers.

Oh i forgot about this thread... :D ... i bought a 10 inch alpine type r... but i blew my headunit somehow so i bought another one and while i was there i ended up walikng out with a sub to :D

the kfc subs are great i have yet to blow one and the sound qaulity is great and ya the price is right they sound good and don't cost a million bucks

Back