Speaker recommendation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcman

Hey folks, the speakers in the rear of my civic are starting to go, so I need recommendations for replacements. I'm going to drive them with the stock deck, so I need something that puts out a lot of sound - expecially bass - with little wattage. I don't need anything super loud or super flashy, just a pair of 6.5" 2-ways or 3-ways. Any suggestions?

people have different prefrences(sp?) and opinions when it comes to car audio...IMO, Infinity makes some great 6.5 speakers along with Polk Audio...I myself am using Sony's up front and pioneers in the rear in my CRX...sounds great but then again i am using an Alpine headunit and sound quality has a great deal to do with your stereo. seeing as how you are going to use your stock stereo, just go over to Best Buy or something and get a set of Kenwood's or Pioneer's.

You could also check out the speakers here...

http://cardiscountstereos.com/

For bass, I don't know. I'm not a fan of getting bass out of speakers unless its mid-range and that usually comes from highter end components...

I would honestly suggest some infinity's, but for bass that woudl be a lie. Polk's have a good amount more though, but can run a good buck for a nice set.

I've always liked every single Pioneer I've ever bought.

Stock decks wont make a lot of sound, its pretty much simple as that. However, I LOVED the way my Kenwoods sounded out of a stock deck, vast improvement over the cardboard speakers that my teg came with.

your not really gonna get much bass out of 6.5s period. I don't which to recommend, however my infinity kappa's put out very little bass.

Also, Pioneer speakers are horrible, you can get much better speakers for very comparable prices.

I totally disagree with some posts here. 6.5's are the ultimate mid-range speaker. They are kinda considered a small woofer. You can get coaxial 6.5's as well to have more treble coming from them. For bass I would recommend Infinity's hands down. If you get the Kappa/reference series (whatever they're calling em now) you will be very pleased. Boston is another comparable brand but they lean much more to the treble side. When I worked at Ultimate it was common knowledge that Boston had more treble, Infinity more bass in their component type speakers. I believe the reason for this is because Boston uses the same type of tweeters (if they are coaxial/2 ways) as they do in their home speakers which are designed for a much larger listening area.

You could luck out and get some sony's or pioneer's that sound very nice as well though. Don't let anyone tell you one brand sucks over another, decide for yourself. When people say that it's, in my opinion, like when people say Ford or Chevy. Everyone makes their piece of shit model and most people make a high end model. Just take a cd that you like up to your electronics store and demo their speakers. I would close my eyes and block out other distractions and listen to different sets. Just close your eyes and have the salesperson switch the speakers whn you tell them too so you can accuratelt gauge what you like. I would have people do this when I sold stuff and they would be suprised at what they thought sounded better. Then they would ask, "well why are the ones I like so much cheaper?", and I would say "I don't know, you tell me."

edogg makes a good point about listening at the store, i did this when i got my setup and i love what i have compared to before. i spent a good amount of money but a good setup isnt cheap. i am now a precision power fan!

ppi dcx 12 in sub
ppi dcx 6.5 componets
ppi dcx 300.4 amp
pioneer premier 860
$1500

i hate pioneer.

i think they sound like crap, look like crap, and have shitty features, and are over-priced.

their speakers, are garbage. OEM's sound about the same.

if you're looking for sub-bass out of a 6 1/2, it will never happen.

perhaps a "bass tube" or something else thats nice and easy and cheap is what you're after, along with a moderately priced set of 6 1/2s

if you want cheap, wal-mart sells a speaker line called lighning audio, now i know what your thinking whats this kid doing telling me to go to wal-mart. a friend of mine bought them for his cavalier 6.5's, and they have a really strong bass woofer, the rest of the speaker isnt as good, but imo they sound better than pioneers and will be able to handle the stock deck, as far as bass tubes go, get a bazooka el, its a little over a hundred dollars, and its more bass than youll ever need from the stock deck. i have my 5.5's replaced with a set of pioneers that sound better than the stock ones but ^^^ is right they dont sound that great, i also have a bazooka el in my trunk, i have a perfect mix from my stereo and all my components cost me less than 200$

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@May 4 2005, 01:17 AM
people have different prefrences(sp?) and opinions when it comes to car audio...IMO, Infinity makes some great 6.5 speakers along with Polk Audio...I myself am using Sony's up front and pioneers in the rear in my CRX...sounds great but then again i am using an Alpine headunit and sound quality has a great deal to do with your stereo. seeing as how you are going to use your stock stereo, just go over to Best Buy or something and get a set of Kenwood's or Pioneer's.

You could also check out the speakers here...

http://cardiscountstereos.com/
[post=494800]Quoted post[/post]​

the stock radio from honda is an alpine

Back