spedo on crack any ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WannabeSI

I swapped a USDM 2000 SI engine in my 97 EX had it all wired and worked fine for about a week then all at once the knock sensor started throwing a code, vtec stopped engaging and my spedo died. If i step on the gass the needle goes up but if i let off the gas it drops to zero. It used to work. all the fuses are fine and the knock sensor is plugged in. Im not sure why its not working. its also a 2000 so i dont think the vss would be bad and it has never been touched so i dont think it is loose or any thing. is there something maybe wireing wise that would affect all of this? any ideas? the Vss worked fine in the si and i pulled it and put the swap directly in the 97 it has never been messed with. if you guys have any ideas of what could be wrong let me know.

Thanks

well.... i tried the ex ecu and the vtec and spedo worked but was still throwing knock sensor then i tried the p30 again and didnt work so i put the ex ecu back in ang now it wont work on either. when i first did my swap i didnt tighten down the ecu ground on the thermostat and it was making alot of clicking noises do you think i could have fried the ecu? do you think if i had a fried ecu that it could fry the VSS and knock sensor? what do you think?

well, i know it is something electrical because now the spedo works and vtec works but if i use my turn signal the spedo goes up and down with the clicks of the turn signal and if i turn my headlights on the spedo drops all the way. and when my spedo doesnt work my vtec doesnt work. any ideas????

hmmmm, to post a very vague answer it sounds like there is a problem in your wiring- perhaps something is miswired or shorted- i dunno exactly what to tell you, but i would get a helms wiring diagram and do some searching

you know i have the same problem but it is my tac. if you find a way to get it to work let me know to maybe i have an electronic problem that i don't even know about :roll:

This is one of those really annoying problems because you have lots of things going on at once. The first thing I always check is grounds. If you have ground problems it can do anything and everything. My friend had a problem with his swap vtec wouldn't work. Everything was wired correctly; 3 people checked it. We were at a loss. Turns out that at his wire connections there was A SINGLE F*CKING STRAIND OF WIRE touching metal. Once we clipped it everything was solid and we had vtec.

Short version

Check grounds
Carefully check all your wires that pretain to the ecu

Yes an arcing wire can fry an ECU. Check your other grounds as well, sounds like you have a short somewhere and fix it now (or stop driving it), before you fry something else. Electrical problems smoking wires inside of a harness can make for interesting fun you can't see. I had an entire CR-V completely gutted to find one frayed wire once. Good luck.

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

turns out there was a bit of anitfreeze that spilled into the VSS plug when i dropped it out of the si and disconnected the coolant lines. I sprayed some brake cleaner in there to evaporate everything and put in some electrical grease to help the connection and it works like a charm. and now that my spedometer works vtec works too!

Originally posted by WannabeSI@Feb 20 2004, 09:46 PM
well, i know it is something electrical because now the spedo works and vtec works but if i use my turn signal the spedo goes up and down with the clicks of the turn signal and if i turn my headlights on the spedo drops all the way. and when my spedo doesnt work my vtec doesnt work.

:bo: :lmao: :bo: :lol:

Now that is some funny stuff!

Back