Speed Holes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

machine

Banned
Ok i just got done reading an article on this fast ass integra from Florida, and it has a row of oval shaped holes drilled in the rear bumper. What gives? Less wind resistance? It seems ricey, but kinda makes sense. At the risk of a bonfire of flames, if I had a really fast car, is this a modification that makes sense? Just curious.

it's called a diffuser. if you think about it... your back bumper is shaped like a parachute. also, the easier the air gets out from under your car the better ;)

track car..... do what ever the fuck you want
street car..... not worth it (and probly not legal)

street cars have to keep safety in mind

why on earth would it not be legal? do you have any idea what he is talking about? it's just holes cut in the rear bumper cover. if it helps you on the track to diffuse the pressure under the car and reduce drag, how could that not be good for the street?

not arguing the track car/street car, but why would it be illegal. its just plastic bumpers isn't it? beat me to it blackjdm

i'm also interested to hear your explanation how people do things to reduce safety on the track. while you're at it, tell me how that reduces safety AT ALL.

by having like 6 big holes on ur back bumper, the bumper loses structural integrity....making it weaker. more prone to major damages in a rear end collison....

if all your doing is cutting ovals into the plastic bumper cover its not going to reduce safety
if you are ripping out the bumper supports to make your new high fassion holes functional then it greatly reduces safety

and removing the bumper supports is not legal in many places if any

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol@May 7 2003, 10:10 PM
by having like 6 big holes on ur back bumper, the bumper loses structural integrity....making it weaker. more prone to major damages in a rear end collison....

so when you buy one of those crazy ass bumpers with all the mesh in them your taking your life in your hands?Hmmmmmm i think not....seriously though that cheap ass bumper cannot have any impact on a collision. My wife bumped the rear of our Blazer and cracked the shit out of the front bumper.

Originally posted by machine+May 7 2003, 10:23 PM-->
vpSPOONsol
@May 7 2003, 10:10 PM

so when you buy one of those crazy ass bumpers with all the mesh in them your taking your life in your hands?Hmmmmmm i think not....seriously though that cheap ass bumper cannot have any impact on a collision. My wife bumped the rear of our Blazer and cracked the shit out of the front bumper.

actually yes, my front street fighter bumper is fiberglass, and will get fu_ked up sooo bad if i ever hit somebody in the front. when puttin it on, it was also necessary to remove the impact bar, as with many cheap aftermarket front bumpers. so basically if i get hit in the front, im fu_cked....i know the consequences...

also a diffuser isnt holes cut in a bumper

its a solid smooth peice at the rear of the car usually with vertical fins on it used to reduce the turbulant swirl at the rear of the car (reduces drag)

here is a CF diffuser for an NSX:
diffuser_kevlar.jpg

here is a diffuser on a lotus elise:
back.jpg

o, i wasn't refering to a diffuser, i was talkin bout the ovals i see on drag cars rear bumpers....cant find a pic though....

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol+May 7 2003, 10:32 PM-->
Originally posted by machine@May 7 2003, 10:23 PM
vpSPOONsol
@May 7 2003, 10:10 PM

actually yes, my front street fighter bumper is fiberglass, and will get fu_ked up sooo bad if i ever hit somebody in the front. when puttin it on, it was also necessary to remove the impact bar, as with many cheap aftermarket front bumpers. so basically if i get hit in the front, im fu_cked....i know the consequences...

Do you realize that fiberglass is just a fucking bumper COVER? Your bumper is the steel piece behind it. So fiberglass bumper is no different than your OEM bumper cover, except its heavier and probably a fucking picnic table.

Cutting holes in the rear bumper does NOT hurt it, b/c you are just cutting the cover, not the actually bumper.

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol@May 7 2003, 11:46 PM
o, i wasn't refering to a diffuser, i was talkin bout the ovals i see on drag cars rear bumpers....cant find a pic though....

i know what your talking about... i was responding to BlackJDMdeath he said that the holes were diffusers

ive seed the holes done before... cant find a pic either :(

For all the people spewing safety BS... even the beam doesn't do much for safety

What is the purpose of bumpers?

The car bumper is designed to prevent or reduce physical damage to the front and rear ends of passenger motor vehicles in low-speed collisions. Automobile bumpers are not typically designed to be structural components that would significantly contribute to vehicle crashworthiness or occupant protection during front or rear collisions. It is not a safety feature intended to prevent or mitigate injury severity to occupants in the passenger cars. Bumpers are designed to protect the hood, trunk, grille, fuel, exhaust and cooling system as well as safety related equipment such as parking lights, headlamps and taillights in low speed collisions.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/.........html

DF1.jpg

basically, you bolt that thing on, then cut out the holes.
supposedly reduces drag.

Back