Speed Holes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 7 2003, 11:11 PM
ok so why is it illegal to remove them then?

go to that link from the DOT page that i posted it explains it in detail

It's all about the lamaner flow and boundary layers.

here's a pic of a race car w/holes. thats Venom's "Girl Poison" civic.
fc970a3e.jpg

and you can see that the holes are where the bumper supports would be
so without removing the bumper supports the holes are not functional
and removing the bumper supports is not legal for street use for whatever reason

so fuck it

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 8 2003, 12:43 AM
and you can see that the holes are where the bumper supports would be
so without removing the bumper supports the holes are not functional
and removing the bumper supports is not legal for street use for whatever reason

so fuck it

thats not true at all, they can be removed as long as they are replaced with something that meets these standards on a passenger car

A bumper is a shield made of steel, aluminum, rubber, or plastic that is mounted on the front and rear of a passenger car. When a low speed collision occurs, the bumper system absorbs the shock to prevent or reduce damage to the car. Some bumpers use energy absorbers or brackets and others are made with a foam cushioning material.

49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2½ mph across the full width and 1½ mph on the corners.

as just the plastic bumper meets all those criteria the supports can be removed legally. That is straight from the department of transportation website regarding numper regulation

rip them out drill the holes and go through inspection
let me know what happens

go through what inspection? emissions? they wouldn't even look at that all they do here is test your gas cap, throw your caar on a treadmill and stick a hose on the exhaust and measure whats coming out.

though i know a lot of people who don't have them, a few have had accidents and the police and insurance company noticed and didn't say one word about it being illegal. Its right on the DOT page in black and white.

i think you guys are confusing two things here...

BUMPER and BUMPER COVER

I think everyone in this thread is confused. As far as I know adding a rear diffuser (called that because it diffuses air from underneath your car to the outside of the vehicle) is illegal. Why? I'd suppose because you have to remove the bumper in order for them to be functional.

holes are NOT a diffuser
they are JUST holes

a diffuser is what i posted 2 pics of up there ^^^^^^^

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@May 8 2003, 09:39 AM
called that because it diffuses air from underneath your car to the outside of the vehicle

To diffuse something is to move it from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. There are many different types of diffusers with different functions.
s3ebbca375f391.jpg

Therfor, if I were to add holes to the back of my bumper then the higher concentration of air trapped in the bumper cover could have a way to escape to the outside of the vehicle, lessening drag. Not that I would ever do this cause it probably only hinders my performance at around 100mph.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_+May 9 2003, 10:45 AM-->
TRuggiero_
@May 8 2003, 09:39 AM
called that because it diffuses air from underneath your car to the outside of the vehicle

To diffuse something is to move it from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. There are many different types of diffusers with different functions.
s3ebbca375f391.jpg

Therfor, if I were to add holes to the back of my bumper then the higher concentration of air trapped in the bumper cover could have a way to escape to the outside of the vehicle, lessening drag. Not that I would ever do this cause it probably only hinders my performance at around 100mph.

i'm pretty sure this is what i was talking about....

Back