Speeding ticket. How to fight it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
Got pulled over tonight going up a hill doing 47 in a 35. cop hit me with his laser gun from 957 feet away according to the ticket. my laser/radar detector went off for what it's worth.
what are my options? i don't want to mail the $53 to pay for the ticket and have my insurance go up. how can i get it dismissed?
i'm thinking lack of evidence. i know the cop won't show up because on my ticket it says i have to appear monday-->friday between 8:30 and 4 before October 10th. i'm sure the cop isn't going to be there every day to prove speeding tickets.
will that alone get the ticket thrown out?
i've never had a ticket of any kind in the past. also, the cop didn't know i had a radar detector because mine is a hidden mount system, so the cop was just being a jerk to a poor college student who just moved into a new town 2 months ago.

any help is greatly appreciated.

you have to appear to plead then a trail date will be set at that time talk top a prosectutor they will usaly drop the points if you agree to pay it

Good luck man. I'm also in the middle of trying to fight a ticket but mine was for being in a carpool lane on an on-ramp where no one would let me into the lane I was suppose to be in.

Someone told me cops now get paid 3 times as much to appear in court on their days off. I hope is BS but I don't know for sure.

what's nice from what i've read is that they can't raise the fine. so if you please not guilty and you can't do anything to fight the ticket, you're only out some time.
i'm going for a not guilty plea and arranging a trial date. then hope that the cop won't show up. if he does and is 'competent' i'll ask for driving school since it's my first ticket. good plan?

53? just pay it... must suck living where cops have lasers... only place i ever got hit with laser is the Indy airport... and once you're hit you're fucked.

why in the world does a town of 30k people need laser guns? back home where there was 120k people i never ever got hit my laser, nor did my friends.

the ticket itself is cheap, i just don't want my insurance to go up. and i want to see if the cop will actually show up for the trial date.

I got three tickets within 5 months of each other, all for at least 15 over and my insurance never budged.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Sep 22 2004, 02:08 AM
53? just pay it...
[post=393334]Quoted post[/post]​

holy shit! we agree on something.

minimum moving violation ticket in conencticut is $75.

yuo shoul dbe happy its so freakin cheap.

79 in a 65, cost me nearly $400.

well, i don't know about your state, but here, if you loose in court, your insurance is more effected than if you woul dhave just paid the damn thing in the first place.

frankly, i think yo're fucked. so just pay the 50 bucks.

no, don't just pay it...

we've covered this so many times before...

just think, car insurance = $2000, 1 point = 10% increase in insurance premium, 2 points = $200 increase PER YEAR for at least the next 3 years...

plead not quilty , the cop will prob show up, and will prob reduce your ticket to either lower points or a non moving violation which will yield no points and your insurance company will never know...

anyone who says just pay it is a fool if they live in a state with a point system and ass fuckers for insurance companies...

and NOTE: driving school does not remove your points from the insurance system... it will remove points from your DMV record, but the insurance company will only give you 10-15% decrease in premium... so if you get 2 points = 20%, and they give you 15% discount, they are still fucking you for an extra 5%... which means an extra $50 per year for the next three years...

cops need to write tickets so they fill the quotas, courts get the fine $$ whether its speeding or non moving, and you get no points, so everyone walks away happy... unless you pissed the cop off...

not true, if you take driving school it will not show up on your driving record period. that means insurance will not know about it either. belivie me, i've had my share of tickets and driving school, and i know how many tickets my insurance company thinks i have gotten.

edit:
and further, if he got you with a laser, you're pretty much done for. even if he shows up, usually they even take away you right to traffic school (depending on the judge). however, 99% of the time they will not just throw it out and give no points, especially after wasting their time trying to fight a ticket where you were tagged with a laser gun. radar guns make it easier to fight because their "viewing" range is so wide, they can pick up other objects that may be carrying that speed you were tagged for. laser however, is too precise.

there is something online about fighting laser gun tickets...

something to the effect of they are so precise that the first measurment can come from the top of the windshield, and then the second from the front bumper and the diffrences between those two measuring points would make it appear to the laser gun that your car is traveling faster than it actually was...

google for it, but i doubt it will work for you...

not sure which state you're from B16, but I know i'm right regarding NY state...
i like you have recieved mine (and everyone else's) fair share of tickets...

Originally posted by revolution8k+Sep 22 2004, 02:03 AM-->
I got three tickets within 5 months of each other, all for at least 15 over and my insurance never budged.
[post=393353]Quoted post[/post]​

Prowler
@Sep 22 2004, 09:02 AM
i just dont' want insurance to go up.

driving school seems to be in the future
[post=393402]Quoted post[/post]​

didn't read that did you?

The 1st two tickets still show on my record with 0 active points. the third ticket was wiped off because of driving school.

Unless montana or idaho or whereever you live sucks ass, then your insurance shouldn't budge. and if it does, find a new carrier.

what state are you from rev?

3 consecutive speeding tickets in 5 months = suspended license in NY...

and is your insurance under your name or your parents name?

here is a random shot i thought i'd post in here since this happend to be the thread i was in when i saw it. from GT4 :p
gt4-nurburgring-screens-20040729050109233.jpg

Back