Speedo died today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

As noted above, the speedometer in my 91 CRX died today. Everything else on the dash still works and I checked the VSS connection to the tranny as well. The VSS is solidly in place and I had very few issues with the speedo before this. The only problem I had with the speedometer before now was the speed was off by about 10 percent. 50MPH= 45 actual.

Any ideas on what should be checked next? Is there a connection on the back of the gauges that can come loose?

Thanks in advance, as always, guys.

Yes on the back of the cluster is a cable that plugs into the back of the cluster. The speedo is driven by a cable so it is a possibility that the cable came loose. If that cable is tight you might have a broken cable. Test drive the car with the cluster out and pay attention to that cable if it is moving then the cable is okay and you are having issues with your cluster.

I removed/broke open the plastic that covers the dash and found the cable. I pulled the cable from the back of the cluster and checked it while moving. It appears that the plastic pin that goes into the cluster has broken from the rest of the cable. Would there be a way to repair the pin to the cable? or is it just better to replace the whole cable?

Replace the whole cable, they're only like 25 bucks from a honda stealership.

Yeah, I was thinking that it should be one of those things that I buy new.

I was also wondering how bad it is to replace one of the gauge bulbs. The bulb behind 90-120 MPH seems to have gone out just as I dismantled my dash. Of course I'll check to see if it's just loose, but, if not, can those bulbs be bought anywhere other than a dealership?

Back