Speedo doesn't work after swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5genracer

Ok, I have a 98 dx hatch with a 00 d16y8 in it. I have a 98 ex auto engine wiring harness, converted to work with the manual tranny setup I have, with a conversion harness to run a p28 ecu. I have no check engine lights, and the car runs fine, but the speedo doesn't work. Actually the check engine light does turn on, but only because the speedo isn't working.

I checked the wires at the plug and I get 12 volts, a good ground, and the 4.9 volt signal wire. I have swapped out the cluster, vss, and also the computer and always the same thing, no speedo or odometer.

I checked the fuses under the dash, all good.

I have no idea where the wire goes once it is in the harness and I don't really want to cut the harness open to find out. Does the output signal go to the computer and then to the speedo? Which pin on the ecu does the vss signal go to (location and color). My haynes manual doesn't tell me jack about the vss wiring.

Thanks for your help, this is really frustrating!!

I know it may sound dumb, but 2 swaps that I have done, each time, the speedo doesn't work. Reason that is, is because each time, you think that the VSS plug is all the way on, but its not. Take it off, then put it on until it clicks.

just though of something. The plug that came with my wiring harness was broken, so I pulled the pins out and put a new plug on there. I wonder if the wires are in the wrong spot? Can anyone go look at their plug and tell me what order the wires are in? Just to have us on the same page, hold the plug so that you are looking at it from the vss side, with the clip on the top. Thanks!

Back